Nikon AF-S 28/1.8 G or Samyang 24/1.4 for Nikon

istvan_l_rincz

<p>Hi there,</p>

<p>I hope some of you have already tested the two lenses and can compare them for me. Before I used a D2x but a months ago a got my Nikon D4. <br>

My first choise would be the very expensive Nikon AF 28mm/1.4 D or the new Nikon AF-s 24mm/1.4G.<br>

Anyway I am looking for a bit cheaper solution. Of course I know there is a diff. between the lenses but I have to keep the budget low.<br>

The second choise would be a Nikon AF-s 28mm/1.8 G or the Samyang 24mm/1.4<br>

Pls. help me with some information!<br>

Best regards,<br>

Istvan</p>

<p>There's no real comparison, because a 24mm lens has over 8 degrees more horizontal angle-of-view than a 28mm lens. However I can give my personal opinions on the Samyang 24mm.</p>

<p>Wide open the Samyang is a competent performer, but not amazing. Sure, it enables you to handhold in very low light and can get a shot that you might not otherwise get, but you have to remind yourself that it's a<strong> 24mm f/1.4 </strong>and that you shouldn't expect stellar image quality at that aperture. The centre definition is good and the corners acceptable, with only a slight hint of the halo effect and lowering of contrast that you get with some other wide-aperture lenses. In this respect it's a lot better than, for example, the MF f/1.4 50mm Ai-S Nikkor standard lens. Of course the Samyang sharpens up considerably as you stop down, which is to be expected, and by f/2.8 or f/4 onwards it can pretty much compete with the best.</p>

<p>CAs are fairly well controlled, being only visible on high contrast detail in the corners of the frame.</p>

<p>There's considerable curvature of field at wider apertures, so don't expect the corners to be as sharp as the centre for flat subjects; i.e. it's not a copying lens! Vignetting performance I would rate as excellent for a lens of this class. Corner darkening is noticeable at f/1.4 and f/2, but not intrusive, and skies are rendered pretty evenly lit at f/2.8 and beyond. Control of flare is good, and the overall colour and contrast are "punchy".</p>

<p>It's not an easy lens to focus. Relying on viewfinder focus confirmation isn't to be recommended for absolute accuracy, and you need to use Liveview to get critical focus. However I've found this to be the case with every lens of > f/2 aperture that I own.</p>

<p>Mechanically it seems pretty well built, although the supplied front and rear caps are a sloppy fit, and the petal hood is a bit flimsy but reasonably effective. The supplied lens pouch is a joke and barely good enough to keep a child's collection of marbles in. The front element protrudes uncomfortably close to the filter rim and lens cap for my liking - a minor niggle.</p>

<p>I suspect that some of the above comments would equally apply to any wide aperture lens of a similar focal length on the market. So all-in-all I'd rate the Samyang 24mm f/1.4 as excellent value for money, since it's about 1/3rd of the price of Nikon's 24mm f/1.4 offering. Depends how much having AF and the Nikkor name is worth to you I suppose.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Thx for your reply Rodeo Joe. The first thing I was wondering is that the Samyang is an MF lens. I have seen some shots take with the samyang and it seems the best results came on Sony cameras. I think the Nikon AF-S 28mm/1.8 G comes a little bit closer to what I am looking for.<br>

To tell you the throught I was always a little bit afraid of the non Nikon lenses because of quality and color. I will take the Nikon AF-s 28mm/1.8 G for that time till I can buy the Nikon 24mm/1.4G.</p>

Istvan, I have the Samyang 35mm f1.4 and the Nikon 28mm f1.8. Both are impressive lenses but the Samyang is

manual focus. I shoot these on a d800 for landscapes. Honestly your D4 has a need for speed. I would go with the

Nikon 28 because of autofocus. Congratulations on your purchase of a D4 and good hunting. Andy

<p>Quite off-topic, but I just looked up the US B&H price of the 28mm f/1.8 Nikkor and was disgusted to see that, once again, we in the UK and Europe are being royally "stiffed". The cheapest advertised UK price is £581, which translates to over $900 US at current exchange rates! So we're <strong>only</strong> being asked to pay about 35% more than the US price.</p>

<p>I'd like to know where this steep price differential originates. With Nikon's Japanese distribution network, or with Nikon Europe? Wherever it originates, it should be realised that this grossly biased price structure can only be harming Nikon's European sales in these cash-strapped times. I, for one, would consider buying the 28mm f/1.8 Nikkor at a 30% lower price, but at it's current UK retail price - forget it!</p>

<p>Thx. for some of you guys for your suggestions.<br>

Mr.Cheung: first of all I didn't know anything about the Samyang lens because I was not able to find anybody who already tried the lens. You can order it but can not try it because the shops don't have them on stock. That makes it a bit difficult to take a look on the lens. I just wanted to know what experience people made with these two lenses and what experience the made with them. Of course I need an AF lens and not an MF. <br>

And yes, I have to tell you I spent a lot of money to buy the D4 and don't have that much money to buy the Nikon 24/1.4G. I would do so belive me. As I mentioned before I am looking for an alternative to the Nikon 24mm/1.4G or the Nikon AF 28mm/1.4 D.<br>

The last body I bought was in 2007 the D2x so it was time for changes. As you know wedding photography need cameras that have a good low light handling. Of course its not just the camera body also the lens should be a prime one. If you know both cameras you will understand what I am talking about. Hungary is really not the photographers heaven. I am glad I can change some stuff in my equipment. By the way the hungarian photographer market is much cheaper than the US market.<br>

For a whole wedding with a lot of extras you can't get more than 500USD. To get more than 500USD you have to be under the best 30 wedding photographers in Hungary.</p>