Nikon AF-S 24-70mm f/2.8G IF-ED

mark45831

Im looking at this and the Tamron SP 24-70mm f/2.8 Di VC USD G2 Lens , I can get the Nikon used in EX condition for about the same price as the Tamron new, The Tamron has the VC where the Nikon in a Non-VR, you think the trade off of going Nikon without the VR would be a better choice than the Tamron with VR, I looking at Optical and performance? This is for a D750

Thanks

I've seen reviews that claim the Nikkor has "sombrero" field curvature, which may or may not bother you. I've hired one, it was okay, though big for what it was - less big and expensive than the new VR version, and arguably sharper at some points in its range. I own the mk1 version of the Tamron (which is allegedly the same optics but without the dock compatibility and with worse VC); it's not perfect, but I'm relatively happy with it, at least slightly stopped down if you want good corners (but the same is true of the Nikkor). Other recent threads have raised the vignetting of the Tamron lenses. Whether the VC matters to you might depend what you're planning to shoot with it (and therefore what your shutter speeds might be).

While I have a 14-24, I like that the Tamron is fairly strong at the 24mm end. Looking at DxO's field maps, the Tamron seems to fall apart a little faster at 50mm, but has more even (though less centrally sharp) coverage at 70mm; I'm usually at one end or other of the range, and more likely the 24mm, since I have a 70-200 that tends to get used for serious 70mm shooting - I tend to use it as a mostly-24mm-with-occasional-zooming-in lens. In DxO's tests at least the latest Nikkor is worse, though I wouldn't say any of these are bad lenses.

Another option to consider is the 24-120 f/4. I found the Tamron better optically and barely larger, and so got rid of my 24-120, but if you might use the 70-120mm range (which is, of course, classic portrait lens territory) then it's worth checking out.

TL;DR: I'm a happy Tamron customer, but either is decent.

I just purchased the Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 after a long discussion with members on photo.net which you may find here:

Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 Di VC G2 Lens

The discussion was comprehensive, although I do not remember a comparison to the Nikon 24-70 f/2.8G.

So far (and I have not yet done extensive testing), I am happy with my purchase which I use on a D750. I am an amateur and take pictures for my own use. If you are a pro and make your living taking images, you may have different requirements than I. I have never used the Nikon version.

Two advantages I see to the Tamron:

1) It is new and carries a 6-year warranty. Lenses can be quite expensive to repair.

2) The Tap-in console allows you to make Autofocus fine tuning adjustments at three different ranges (0.38 meters, 1 meter, and infinity) for each of four different zoom setting (24mm, 35mm, 50mm, and 70mm) for a total of 12 different corrections. (I have not tried this, yet; I am not sure fine tuning is needed for my lens/camera). The Nikon lens relies on the D750 which allows one correction for the entire lens.

I miswrote in my previous post. One of the contributors to the thread in my previous post Heimbrandt, did test the Tamron against the Nikon. He preferred the Tamron. Scroll through to page three of the thread; his post is dated Dec 2, 2018. He wrote, "The Tamron was noticeably better than the 24-70G and equal to the results from the 24-70E VR from wide open to about f11..."

I know this won't get much support, but I recently purchased the Sigma 24-35mm f/2, it was on sale for $899.00 and included the Sigma dock. The size and zoom range get chirped at, I find these to be non-issues. This lens is top notch! It is Zeiss like in image quality, resolution, contrast, color and build quality - withAF! Give it a try - I love the lens and think you will too.

I can only add that many of the used 24-70 Zoom-Nikkors that I've seen have poor handling, in that the zoom ring has got sloppy.

I was in the market for this lens some years ago, and every new sample I tried had a rough-feeling zoom ring. One branch of Calumet tried to sell me a sample that was so stiff it practically seized at the 50mm setting!

I started looking at used examples and many had a very sloppy zoom feel.

A web search showed me that both stiff and sloppy zoom action was a fairly common problem, and I stopped looking. Instead I stuck with my 'cheap' 28-75 SP f/2.8 Tamron for quite a few years, and then bought the Mk1 version of Tamron's 24-70 SP VC zoom.

Both of those Tamrons have served me well and delivered excellent image quality.

Note that I haven't used the latest version of Tamron 24-70 VC, but its optical diagram looks identical to the version I have.

I have the nikkor in topic. Got it used, but zoom action is still flawless. Image quality is good to extent that one might call it boring. If You go to brick and mortar store that has both nikkor and tamron You could test how the VC plays in. Living humans have heartbeat and if You push liveview 100% handheld with zoom to 70mm You should see stutter in displayed image on every heartbeat, same occurs in shooting too, so some believe in machinegun style to avoid shaken images. If the displayed image is more still on tamron and You can live with reversed manual focus directions, why not to get new tamron.

VC really is not a issue with me, only one I had was the Nikon 70-200 2.8 VR I, And I was not happy with that lens, Sold it and kept the 80-200 2.8D that I like much more, Im more concerned with Optical quality , If you were to do portraits outdoors which one would you grab?

Some reports say the Nikkor has slightly nicer bokeh than the version 1 of the Tamron, but I have no experience with the Tamron myself (either new or old). From what I've understood, the Tamrons have good sharpness and probably either is a good choice.

The 24-70/2.8E Nikkor has even smooth zoom action, nicer colours, higher contrast, less CA, less field curvature, faster and quieter AF than the Nikon G version, and the E is what I recommend if finances permit. I have used two copies of the Nikon G and my main complaint with it was the field curvature which made it difficult to get everyone sharp in group photos, but otherwise it worked well for me. The E version is much better in this respect (wide angle field curvature, and generally sharpness around the peripheral parts of the frame), but at 70mm at close focus it's not as sharp wide open as the G version, or so I gathered in the short time I owned both. I had planned on keeping the G as a backup but quickly determined that I preferred the E so much that I wouldn't be using the older lens.

I can only add that many of the used 24-70 Zoom-Nikkors that I've seen have poor handling, in that the zoom ring has got sloppy.

I was in the market for this lens some years ago, and every new sample I tried had a rough-feeling zoom ring. One branch of Calumet tried to sell me a sample that was so stiff it practically seized at the 50mm setting!

I started looking at used examples and many had a very sloppy zoom feel.

A web search showed me that both stiff and sloppy zoom action was a fairly common problem, and I stopped looking. Instead I stuck with my 'cheap' 28-75 SP f/2.8 Tamron for quite a few years, and then bought the Mk1 version of Tamron's 24-70 SP VC zoom.

Both of those Tamrons have served me well and delivered excellent image quality.

Note that I haven't used the latest version of Tamron 24-70 VC, but its optical diagram looks identical to the version I have.

I looked in Calumet (the old Euston branch) when I was buying a secondhand Nikon 24-70 G, and their stock seemed 'well used'. An independent dealer had a much nicer example - the zoom action was fine (and has remained so). I don't discount the stories about the problems some people have had with this lens (I wouldn't like to drop it!) but it's always hard to tell how common an issue is from internet reports that tend to emphasise problems, while remaining silent on the examples that just work. Presumably Nikon knows, but it isn't telling. Lens Rentals reported back in 2013 on the lenses they'd had most problems with over the previous year:

Lensrentals Repair Data: 2012-2013

The Canon and Tamron 24-70 zooms appear in the list, as do the Nikon 70-200 and 14-24, but not the Nikon 24-70. We don't know the sample sizes, but the Nikon 24-70 was presumably one of the more commonly rented zooms. Make of that what you will.

All I can say about the 24-70 G is that it's sharp and focuses fast and I like the images from it. The only things I don't like are the size and weight.

Im looking at this and the Tamron SP 24-70mm f/2.8 Di VC USD G2 Lens , I can get the Nikon used in EX condition for about the same price as the Tamron new, The Tamron has the VC where the Nikon in a Non-VR, you think the trade off of going Nikon without the VR would be a better choice than the Tamron with VR, I looking at Optical and performance? This is for a D750

Thanks

I came upon this informal comparison of the Nikon, Tamron, and Sigma 24-70 lenses on YouTube.

I write informal because the tests are definitely not under laboratory conditions, but may be closer to the conditions you will find in everyday use. For my taste, the reviewer spend too much time on cosmetics, which he call "build quality" (who really cares that Nikon has gold accents and Sigma and Tamron have silver). However the ergonomics - placement of switches and focusing and zoom rings - are valid points as is the size.

The VR test was illuminating. I never thought of testing it using the video function of the camera.

Remember, the tests were conducted using a D850; you may not see the differences in resolution using a D750.

I came upon this informal comparison of the Nikon, Tamron, and Sigma 24-70 lenses on YouTube.

One important aspect that's not compared in the video is focus speed and accuracy on moving objects. I do know that Nikon 24-70 (non-VR) is excellent on this one.

One important aspect that's not compared in the video is focus speed and accuracy on moving objects. I do know that Nikon 24-70 (non-VR) is excellent on this one.

Would that not be as much a function of the camera as the lens?

After watching the video again, I suspect that the Sigma lens failed because it does not engage VR in video mode with the D850. Sigma may need to produce a firmware update.

If the displayed image is more still on tamron and You can live with reversed manual focus directions, why not to get new tamron.

- My Mk1 SP VC 24-70 Tamron focusses in the same direction as all Nikon lenses. Turn it clockwise - looking from the back of the lens - towards infinity.