Nikon Accessory Knock-offs/Fakes

lisa_b4

<p>Extremely exposed, large and bold name NIKON on things should be a clue that they sure want you to believe it is a genuine Nikon product.</p>

<p>However, products that do not claim to be a Nikon, but are made "For Nikon", or are "Nikon Compatible", are just 3rd party vendor products. Being legal, and mostly much less expensive, and rarely better than the Nikon's originals.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>A good reason to use old crap - I can't see anyone wasting their time trying to counterfeit an F2. Seriously, though, a more concerning thing to me isn't these counterfeit items may fail (infuriating but not life-threatening), but that some of these plug into mains electricity - these are potential fire hazards. I think batteries and chargers are the one place where due diligence is essential.</p>

<p>The counterfeiters typically fake the simple stuffs: batteries, power grips and although not strictly Nikon: memory cards. They are not sophisticated enough to counterfeit an entire camera or a lens.</p>

<p>Batteries, especially Lithium ion and chargers as well as electronic flashes are potential hazards, but flashes are probably too difficult to counterfeit. Therefore, you mainly need to be careful with batteries and chargers.</p>

<p>Shun, they do make lens copies, I just bought this nice 24-70mm F2.8 for a few bucks. I was a bit disappointed, the plastic is already peeling off, the labels are crooked and in a slightly different color. It does have a nice coffee function. <br>

On a more serious matter, I bought a Meike battery grip (labeled as Meike, not Nikon) and it has been working without a problem for some years already. I have compared it side-by-side with a Nikon one and except for the label you would not be able to tell them apart. They come so close you would suspect it to come from the same factory. Is it still a 'copy' then?</p><div>00aLJw-463003584.jpg.6b1dac7e00327f04cdc7779cc7f99e84.jpg</div>

<p>Shun, if I was going to counterfeit anything, then hotshoe flashes would be one of my prime targets. The amount of markup Nikon, Canon and the other major makers put on these basically simple items is ridiculous. The parts and assembly cost for an SB-910 for example must amount to about $60 US maximum. Far more technology and material go into a DVD player.<br>

The only expensive bit would be reverse-engineering the firmware.</p>

<p>I've found that some fake ML3s work in a lot more useful way (the fake is one reported in the site in the case). The simple enhancement is that the fake lets you take images in sequence without having to push the button again, just keep it pressed. I've found it so useful that I bought (still spending a lot less than for one Nikon original) six of them (2 EURO each). I can even not bother loosing one ! (a frequent event for me). Had to buy new batteries, though.</p>