Nikon 85MM AF 1.8 , how is D version different?

john_watson

<p>Per Nikon's website: "D-type lens design provides distance information as part of flash and ambient light exposure processes."</p>

<p>I suggest you get the D version. I purchased one recently and decided to go with a new one from Amazon ($429 including shipping) as the new lens was not much expensive than used from KEH and eBay and of course comes with a 5 year warranty.</p>

<p>You do not tell what camera model you use... so answers may not be precise or applicable to your case.</p>

<p>Assuming that you have near top model of Nikon DSLR, and use it to full feature capailities, there are other reasons to get the Nikkor lens that provides focus distance information from the lens to the camera.<br />Part of one of prior discussions on the similar subject is here:</p>

<p><em>The distance information provided from lens to camera is used in the latest Nikon DSLR at least in 3 ways:</em><br /><em>1. Support for best iTTL/BL balanced flash mode.</em><br /><em>2. Matrix metering.</em><br /><em>3. 3D auto focus tracking.</em><br /><em>Once you learn how to take advantage of the D information and camera modes, your flash in daylight, your sport auto focus activity, as well as the metering that takes advantage of most of many sensors provided by the camera, will improve your photos.</em><br /><em>Of course you do not have to use any of the advanced features provided by the latest technology.</em></p>

<p>As in link:<br /><a href="00XasS">http://www.photo.net/nikon-camera-forum/00XasS</a></p>

<p>??</p>

<p>There are differing opinions as to the usefulness of the D feature, but if the difference in price is not much of an issue, then why not just go ahead and get the D version? As a friend of mine used to say, "It's better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it."</p>

<p>Just to confirm, according to <a href="http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/nikon/nikkoresources/AFNikkor/AF85mm/index.htm">this</a> and <a href="http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/nikon/nikkoresources/AFNikkor/AF85mm/index1.htm">this</a>, the optical design of the 85mm f/1.8 AF and AF-D are identical (it's not a lens that got a redesign as part of becoming "D"). The "D" version is therefore preferable, but - other than a slight difference to metering, I'd not lose sleep over it.</p>

<p>My 85mm f/1.8 is not a D and the lens barrel is not plastic, but metal. Interesting. <br>

In any case, it is a truly great lens. OTOH, I rarely use it with flash, because, well, why would I? Or if I do, I'm using a slow shutter with the flash on manual as a bounced or off camera shadow catch, etc. I'd just get the one in the best possible condition, and not pay any attention to the D or non D aspect apart from as a last tie breaker. </p>