Nikon 85mm 1,4D

blake_abbott

Thanks for the input gentlemen. The DOF with this lens is a real challenge. This was taken at f1.4 and you can't see it clearly here, but the eyes are not sharp but the glasses are!<p>

The autofocus went for the glasses and I tried to tweak it for the eyes, but the D200 viewfinder coupled with my eyesight make it near impossible for me. I should have gone for about f2.8, but for this portrait and the glasses, I don't think it hurts the pic too much.

I had a similar challenge photographing a friend with her dog. She wanted to be in the photo but out of focus in the background. So I set my 50/1.8. I knew I'd only be able to get either the dog's nose or eyes in focus, but not both, so I tried it both ways. It actually looked better with the snout in focus. He's an old doggie with cataracts so even the "in focus" shots of his eyes appeared out of focus.

i think there's a reason that this is one of Nikon's most lusted after lenses. especially when

talking anything less than 200mm.

i love shallow DOF and this lens' razor thin focus combined with one of Nikon's best bokeh

make this my favorite lens.

i like both of your examples a lot. even though i posted this pic before - since we're showing

off our kids in shallow DOF...<div>00LUQc-36955684.jpg.41f795a9cb96b6b7c4704fdbe438315a.jpg</div>

I know the "simple solution" but the aftermath of removing my wife's foot out of my a%& is a little painful. I'm going to get the 1.8 though next month. Tried trading/selling my 45GN factory AIed for one but had no takers.

• 2 weeks later...