Nikon 8008 as back-up for F2

chris_pope

This site has been so much help in the past that I have to ask this question.

I have been using the F2 and FM cameras for over 20 years, and I know them

like the back of my hand. I can use them without the meter if needed and have.

I am looking for a back-up camera to help me learn more about the "auto" side

of this game. My girl friend is using a Canon Rebel G2 and I have laughed at

this plastic toy for some time. "Who needs auto focus and exposure" Now I have

to admit there is a place in this world for both of these schools. Im not

going digital but I would like a camera that will let me learn this side of

photography. Is the Nikon 8008 the way to go or is there another transition

system I should think about. Thank you guys for all your help.

The N8008 would be great. It will accept your AIS lenses and has a rangefinder focus verification..The next model was the N8008s and it added the spot meter..These camera's are good transition models with excellent backward and forward compatibility..When you buy an auto focus lens then you will be able to use matrix metering..I have the N8008s and use it quite a bit..I have no complaints about it however they are supposed to be weak in the autofocus area. I do not own a autofocus lens so I cannot really say what it is like...These camera's can be had very inexpensively. The N90s is to be considered as it's really an excellent camera but will cost a bit more.

At first blush I would recommend going with something a bit more modern than an 8008 / 8008s for a variety of reasons...perhaps an N90s (vs. N90) or an F100 if your budget permits. Used and 'excellent condition' F100's can be had for a song. I'm about to get another for a family member.

AFS lenses will leave you with manual focusing on an 8008. AFS is functional on N90s and F100. I can't recall how my AFS lenses responded on the F4...very telling as the F100 is the 'go-to' for AF.

The next matter will be that of AF glass. Perhaps ease into new glass so as not to break the bank? I would suggest non-G lenses if going with an F100 since they (non-G, without an aperture ring) are essentialy incompatible on the beloved F2 and FM. Conversely, if you have non-AI lenses you'll find they will not mount on most AF bodies. The F4 is an exception, yet the AF capability of the F4 is far surpassed by that of the F100. Not sure how the AF of the N90s compares to F4. Who knows, your F2 may even be relegated to back-up status for an F100. And rather than limit your thinking to (not to say you are): 'F2, FM and 8008 answer all my needs', those needs being current, expand a bit and consider tapping into the potential of an F100 and its' vast capabilities in the future...Godspeed!

The real question is not which bodies you already have, although having the F2 and FM has some implications. The actual question is which types of lenses you currently own, pre AI, AI/AI-S or AF, and what are you planning to add. E.g., if you have a lot of pre-AI lenses that have not been AI'ed, the N8008 may not be a good choice.

Another vote for the N8008s (or F801s as it was marketed in Europe). Price difference between the N8008 and N8008s is very small on the second hand market and the spotmeter is a real bonus to have.

You only have one autofocus sensor, right in the middle of the viewfinder. So you need to lock focus on your subject and recompose if you don't want your subject right in the middle of the frame. But with some practice this is not a problem, as long as you keep the shutter button pressed halfway focus will be retained. You can also lock exposure at the same moment by pushing the AE/AF switch at the back of the camera and then recompose.

Autofocus speed is slow by today's standards, but it is more than capable with static and slow moving subjects. If you want to use it for sports, kids and pets, I'd recommend a better autofocus camera, like the N90s or F100.

The N8008 and N8008s are very capable cameras: shutter speeds from 30 seconds to 1/8000 second, flash sync at 1/250 second. I think it manages 3.3 frames per second, but that is a feature I very seldom use, so I'd need to check it up. Takes 4 AA batteries, so you'll never be without batteries, no matter where you travel to. You can also choose between full manual exposure, aperture priority, shutter priority, program and shift program. And to top it all off a very bright viewfinder and a great focus confirmation with manual lenses (nice to have when your eyesight is not what it used to be or for a long session looking through the finder).

As has been pointed out above, compatibility with your existing lenses could be an issue. If you have AI or AIS lenses, you will get centre weighted and spotmeter. With AF lenses, also matrix metering.

If you want to buy AF lenses second hand, some very good deals can be had at the moment. A good starting point would be the 50mm f/1.8. I bought this lens together with the body and it is one that never leaves my camera bag. Great for indoor shots, details, available light. New it cost about 100 dollars, you should be able to find one for 35 dollars, although I haven't checked prices recently.

With the N8008 or N8008s, there is no use in buying AF-D lenses, hence lower prices on the second hand market. Unless you plan on buying a newer autofocus camera in the near future, stick to the normal AF lenses (no D-chip to calculate distance for exposure on more modern cameras like F100).

A very good choice to start in AF.

Chris, I have shunned the autofocus world for a long time; I even added MF lenses and camera bodies I always wanted only a couple of years back. I owned a FM, FM2, and FM2(N), and still have my F3 but got convinced when my wife purchased a F100 that I am missing out on a lot by not having AF. I owned AF lenses long before I owned an AF body.

I agree with Shun that the real question would be what you plan to do with the lenses you currently own; do you want to use the MF lenses on the AF body? If so, your choices IMHO are limited to F4 (which has very slow AF, believe me, I own them), or the F6 as only those maintain full metering capabilities (I am talking about matrix metering). I can't remember whether MF lenses work on the N8008 or N8008s (I believe they do), but AF is bound to be slow on these as well. If matrix metering is not something you are not excited about and AF is the main thing you are lusting over, get the F100. The AF is unbeatable and only surpassed by the F5, which would be another choice, if you like heavy cameras. Hope this helps.

I don't often recommend the F4, but I think it might be worth a look given your qualifying statements. It's pretty much "built like a single digit F" body, and it has controls that are a bit more like the bodies that you are used to.

They used to command big bucks (whereas the 8008s has been trading in the low $100+ range for a few years); you can now get an F4s for about $225, less than half what they traded for 2 years back.