Nikon 80-200 f2.8 AFS....Discontinued????

at

I was searching B+H's web site for a Nikon 80-200 f2.8 AFS

and couldnt find it. I then tried Adorama and it wasnt listed there

either. Is this an oversite from major online retailers or is there

something going on I should know about? Has Nikon discontinued this

version. I looked at the 70-200 f2.8 G but damnit I like the aperture

ring on my lenses.

Thanks for you input.

Ilkka's right, those are your choices. BUT, if you don't really need the AFS over the

AFD, I'd look hard at the AFD. It's lighter, shorter, and the optics are as good. The AFS

has a better tripod mount, but many folks will be just as well served with the AFD,

and at a much better price.

If you really have your sights set for the AFS, there may be a few left at other dealers,

and a web search would be a good idea. Of course the sooner the better. :o)

I almost got a used 80-200 AFS, was VERY tempted to get a brand new 70-200 AFS VR, then did some soul searching (and a peek at my wallet) and ordered an 80-200 AF-D (2-ring, tripod mount) -- and remain convinced I made the right decision.

Here is another vote forthe 80-200 f/2.8D AF-Nikkor. Unless you are shooting sports

you won't miss the focusing speed of the AF-S and you won't miss the additional bulk

and weight either. if you are shooting with bodies from the F5 or F100 newer you do

get better and more precise control with the on body aperture control ofthe newer

bodies. I am speaking from a strictly practical point of view but of course the user

experience is completely subjective as this is tied up with an individual

photographer's emotional and sentimental experiences.

The main advantage of the AF-S versions is that you can add a TC-14E and maintain AF. I have upgraded some of my early AF lenses to AF-S for that one reason alone. A secondary advantage is that you can manually override AF without turning off AF. Otherwise, the earlier two-touch AF-D version (we also call it the 3rd AF generation of the 80-200mm/f2.8) is much better value for the money. I believe that version is still in production.

• 2 weeks later...

You can still purchase this lens as "Demo" models that Cameta Cameras is auctioning off on that famous web site. These are Nikon sales rep demos that have been checked and offered with a 1 yr warranty. I just received mine and they are in brand new condition. I am very pleased so if you don't want to fork out the money for the latest VR model, you can still get the AF-S model in mint condition.

Regards

Art