Nikon 80-200 AF-D Cracked AF/MF Ring

stank

<p>I have an opportunity to buy an Nikon 80-200 for $600 but it has a cracked AF/MF ring but is otherwise looks decent from the photos. I have not actually laid hands on it yet. I understand that this is a common issue with this lens and is about $150 to repair. Does the lens still work if it is not repaired? Assuming the rest of the lens is good, is it ok to get this lens or should I move on?</p>

<p>Thanks<br>

Stan</p>

<p>The lens will still work with the ring being cracked. With that said I think I would look around more and see if you could find one with out the crack. KEH has some with out cracked rings in the 7 to 8 hundred dollar range. Its a great lens but the ring is a week spot. I have one that is cracked and should get it fixed but I have an 80-200 AFS and a 120-300 so the non AFS 80-200 is just a shelf queen. I should probably get it fixed and see about selling it.</p>

<p>My 200mm/f4 AF-D Macro uses that same type of AF/MF switch ring. My eventually cracked and I should have left it alone. Instead, I kept paying around with that and the problem got worse; eventually I had to get it replaced. It cost me $200: <a href="/nikon-camera-forum/00BxJs">http://www.photo.net/nikon-camera-forum/00BxJs</a></p>

<p>That is a very clear desing flaw. I am glad that Nikon no longer uses that type of ring on their newer lenses.</p>

<p>Bitten by Craigs List again! :( This is the 4th time trying to buy a Nikon 80-200 f2.8 that I am the first responder, conform that I am interested, set up at time to meet and the seller doesn't show or drops communication (likely because they sold it to someone else) or flat out sells it out from under me. Rant... rant...rant...</p>

<p>I guess it is just as well. I did have some reservations regarding the cracked ring and some reported minor dust on the internal elements. Perhaps I should just pay a little more and stick with reputable sellers like B&H, Adorama or KEH and be done with these CL folks.</p>

<p>By the way, nice idea ^ for fixing the cracked ring.<br>

<br /> Stan</p>

<p>I had one that had the exact same crack. I super glued it and never had any trouble from it. My preference is for the older, push-pull zooms though. Yours is a great lens, although it is really big and heavy. My old 70-210 wasn't as sharp, but it was plenty sharp enough, and a lot easier to tote. People react a lot when you point one of the 80-200 lenses at them, not so much w/ the 70-210s</p>

<p>As I mentioned above, the deal fell through on the 80-200. I have been using a 70-210 AF-D and find it to be very sharp. There is probably some sample variation and these are old and could be banged around some. I do really like the 70-210 and will likely keep it for the same reasons you mentioned above. Nikon changed the AF gearing a little in the AF-D version and it focuses very fast on my D300. My only issue is low light capability and, yes, the 80-200 really looks cool. Maybe I should keep my pocket lined and be happy with the 70-210.<br>

Stan</p>

<p>Just to add a data point, a few years ago I bought the push-pull version with a dented filter thread for a little under $300. I'm still very happy with it. At some point the 'Nikon ED' metal label fell off, and I had to super-glue it back on. But that seems to be the only weakness of this version as far as I can tell.</p>