Nikon 70-210 E, flare a problem?

andrew_gale

<p>Hi, i asked a question about with tele zoom to buy for Nikon about a week ago, thanks for the many responses. </p>

<p>I ended up going with the 70-210 f/4 Series E. It was between that and the AF-D and I decided that I would rather

have a constant aperture than a fast AF. It is also less than a half the price so I went ahead and bought one. </p>

<p>But in doing my research I discovered that this lens has significant flare issues. I know that it takes the HN-24

lens hood, but im not convinced that this will entirely solve the problem, also, to get a genuine Nikon one will

be more than 1/2th the price of the lens. </p>

<p>What is the best solution to fix the flare problems with the lens. It hasn't arrived yet, but I would like to be

able to use it in flare conducive conditions right away when it arrives. Personal experiance/ fixes would be

greatly appreciated, but I would also welcome help from those who have had the same problem on a different lens.</p>

<p>Thanks, Galen</p>

<p>Nikon F4<br>

70-210 f/4 Series E Lens<br>

HN-24 Hood(?)<br></p>

First, remove any filters. Chances are you bought the lens with a cheap UV filter on the front. Take it off. Even good filters will increase flare.

Second, make sure the front and rear elements are clean. Get a fine brush to remove any larger particles (hold the lens up so the dust falls OUT), then breath on the lens and clean up with a lens tissue or a well-washed cloth (old well washed cotton T-shirt).

Third, open the aperture up and have a good look inside the lens. Are the internal elements clean and free of haze, dust and fungus? A few spots of dust won't make a difference but haze will increase flare and reduce contrast. Cleaning the internal elements will require a technician, the lens may not be worth it unless you dare to do it yourself!

Last, some lenses are prone to flare due to the coatings used or the optical design, there is not much else you can do except to keep the lens well shaded from strong light. If you are shooting into the sun and notice lens flare, try to shade it by using a hood or with your hand, or moving so the front element is in the shade of a tree etc. Good luck!

Jordan - Price. It was an impulse ebay item that I stumbled upon in its final seconds. It was too good a deal to

pass up.

I was going to go with the 70-210 AF-D since the focus is so fast, but I dont do so much sports ect, and have

focused no more on landscapes and portraits, so the constant aperture overruled my desire for a fast AF.

I bought the new lens since I sold my old 70-300G. It didnt work on my camera since I have to set aperture with

the ring. I got a hundred bucks for the old one, and was thinking about opening my budget to 200. But when the E

lens appeared at 50 bucks, i couldnt help myself.

Ill invest the other 50 and next time I buy a piece of equipment I will be able to expand my budget a little.

Thanks for the help. I guess Ill just get the HN24 which is the dedicated hood for this lens, but ill just get an

off brand one to save money.

'I was going to go with the 70-210 AF-D since the focus is so fast, but I dont do so much sports ect, and have focused no more on landscapes and portraits, so the constant aperture overruled my desire for a fast AF. '

There's also a constant aperture AF 70-210 f/4, optically similar to what you have:

http://www.dantestella.com/technical/70210.html

The infamous Ken Rockwell has a page with a picture, though you should take the commentary (supposed 'autofocus errors, etc.) with a pinch of salt:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/70210f4.htm