Nikon 70-180mm macro...Seekimg reviews

at

I may have a chance to pick up a mint Nikon 70-180mm macro in the

near future. I am interested in reviews from first hand users.

I am not looking for this model vs. that model. Just real reviews from

folks that have used this lens at all apertures and focal lengths.

Pros and cons. Thanks in advance. I searched the archives but there

are not too many reviews other than "one liners".

Please, if you have used this lens give me your honest feedback.

Thanks

The AF 70~180/4.5~5.6D ED Micro makes a very convenient and versatile 105mm macro lens (105~??). At 180 and 1/2 life size the free working distance (filter thread lip to subject) is 243mm, the 105/2.8 AIS Micro Nikkor is exactly the same at that scale. The AF 105/2.8D Micro would have somewhat less and the older 105/4.0 AI Micro Nikkor somewhat more.

It�s best suited to flora (or fauna that don�t mind having their picture taken). It�s very easy to use as a macro slider is not needed. The maximum image scale is 0.75x at 180mm. A Nikon 5T or 6T supplementary close-up lens can be used to get closer or one can use tubes. Once tubes are used a macro slider is indicated. It looses no light but rather focal length when focused so its f/5.6 aperture when zoomed to 180mm w/ or w/o a close-up diopter is similar to a conventional f/2.8 macro with tubes.

On the down side the tripod collar has a disgustingly small foot print and the zoom ring can bind tightly if squeezed. The zoom moves nicely if rolled with one�s thumb.

This lens doubles as an excellent general purpose AF zoom lens if f/5.6 isn�t too slow. It�s even quite sharp down the center with a TC-16A teleconverter. A better choice would be a TC-14A.

The AF 70~180/4.5~5.6D ED Micro is missing at B&H Photo and Adorama and has been for at least a week. It�s not listed as out of stock, it�s just not there. Perchance it�s being discontinued or perhaps it�s going to be "upgraded" to the (seventh letter of the alphabet). This might be nothing but my paranoia so don�t consider either of these as fact.

I would buy it again,

Dave.

Most or all Nikkors now come with the troublesome road map style instructions. I made my own manual for this lens as I sometimes want to check DOF tables and such. It�s as faithful to the Nikon document as my proofreading skills allow. YMMV. Please see the attached PDF file.

That was strange! The above got confirmed with out a mouse click or keyboard entry. I was giving it a final reading as my proofreading skills really suck. It just happened automatically.

The attachment is 552KB so I recommend opening it in a separate window or using a right click and "Save target as�" especially if you use a Dial-up connection to the web.

There is plenty about this lens on photo.net. I've got some comments in the ezshop section here:<p>http://www.photo.net/ezshop/product?product_id=44<p>In short, it's a compact, very sharp lens. No visible distortion, low to moderate tendency to flare in spite of the 18 glass elements in there.<P>It is probably too sharp for portraits - use a soft focus filter if you still want your subject to talk to you afterwards.<p>It works great with the 6T lens and extension tubes. If it gets too dark, pull out the 6x finder and the M screen, and you'll be laughing.<p>Main cons: rather small tripod collar foot, and second a plastic filter thread.

I've used one for nearly two years now. Its optically superb, especially near the 180mm end, but mechanically poor. The lens hood is flimsy and easy to break, and the focusing action of my sample began binding toward the close focus range. Image quality is second to none, and I may buy a second one along with several hoods just to have at least one in good working order.

Brian

www.caldwellphotographic.com

I had this lens 4 years ago when there was a offer. Bought one, tested it for closeup, scenic photo and portrait. Repeated detail testing confirmed its excellent optic(better than my 80-200/2.8), three months later, decided to buy another piece before the offer end. Now I have two, no regrets. These days when I travel. it took the place of 80-200/2.8(Tripot). The zooming does not affect focus at all which is great for critical focus shot(Portrait). Dropped it once from waist hight onto concrete floor, resulted in no scratch nor dent mark, excellent optic not effected, thanks to the highly complained plastic body.