Nikon 50mmf1.8 E Series (AI-S) Lens

jared_schy

That is a manual-focus lens. The Series E lenses was an "economy" line introduced in the late 1970's. In fact, my dad bought a 50mm/f1.8 Series E back then. I think he still has it.

Such manual-focus lenses have no CPU inside so that you will have no metering on the D80. There will be no auto focus, of course.

For more details on AI-S, see Thom Hogan's page:

http://www.bythom.com/lensacronyms.htm

I would avoid any Series E lens. These were Nikon's bottom of the barrel with plastic bodies and questionable glass back in the early 80s when they first dipped their toe into the low-end consumer market. I don't believe an E lens is actually part of the AI-S series even though it may share some characteristics. You can pick up a standard AI-S 50 for probably $25 and even get a modern 50AF cheap, so why bother.

<P><i>"I would avoid any Series E lens. These were Nikon's bottom of the barrel with plastic bodies and questionable glass ... You can pick up a <b>standard AI-S 50</b> for probably $25 ..."</i><P>

The standard "pancake" AIS 50/1.8 that was just recently discontinued, is for all intents and purposes a chrome ring Series E 50/1.8 with a Nikkor badge and NIC multicoatings. Same optics, and same plastic body. :-)<P>

Some of the Series E lens had anything but questionable glass ... the 75~150mm f/3.5 (metal body btw) is well know to be an excellent performer with a build quality superior to most "economy" consumer zooms made today.

But yes, I would also avoid any Series E (or AIS lens for that matter) as a candidate for a D80. They're just not very practical for those bodies.

<i>Yes, avoid all E-series (barring, may be the 75-150 zoom) lenses.</i>

<p>

The Series-E 50/1.8 has the same optics as the current AF version, which has very good performance. However, the AF lens has better coatings and focuses closer, and better compatibility with the D80.

<p>

The Series-E 100/2.8 and 75-150/3.5 are two other excellent lenses, especially if you are looking for a compact telephoto. The other lenses in the line are perhaps not so good, but I wouldn't write them off so easily. But as stated before, being manual lenses they are not convenient to use with the D80. Going back to the original question, the AF 50/1.8 would be a much better option.

Somebody correct me if my memory serves me ill, but the E-series was AI, not AIS.

Forget the comment about the build quality of the E series; few economy lenses today are made to that standard. The 50mm, the 75-150 and the rare 100mm E series lenses are all very contrasty and sharp. I wish they would revive the 75-150 in an AFS version, or reengineer it as a 50-100mm lens aimed at the Dx sensor market. But I digress...

I've got to believe those bashing the Series E lenses have not ever actually used any. The build quality, while not top of the line, is head and shoulders above much of the consumer lenses you buy today and as far as the optics go some of my very best photographs were taken with a Series E 50mm1.8. I've used mine on my D80 and no it doesn't meter or autofocus (of course) but it functions quite well and takes wonderful photos.

I've owned a number of Series E lenses. I still use and love the 75 -150mm. I've done side by side comparisons of multiple Series E 100mm f/2.8 lens and the "legendary" Nikkor 105mm f/2.5 lens. By my eye, images produced by the Series E look better (and of course the Series E is much lighter). I sold my last 105mm lens last week to Ken Rockwell.

Dave

The E lenses were 'budget' but optically very good. Ignore the comments to discount them. Good glass for little money.

HOWEVER, on the D80 you will have:

No auto focus. This can be overcome by focussing manually. The D80 WILL indicate (with the green 'focus dot') if you are in focus.

No metering (The D200/300 will meter with AI lenses by the way). Use an external meter or guess exposure, make a test shot an use the histogram to adjust.

The lens is excellent compared to even quite expensive zooms, but you have to work a little harder to get it right.

I've shot extensively with the 50mm f1.8 and f1.4 D AF and the 50mm f1.8 'E'. They are all very good.

Sorry, I had a typo earlier. My Dad actually bought his 50mm/f1.8 Series E lens along with an EM body back in late 1979 or early 1980. That was definitely before the introduction of AI-S in 1981.

In 1981, Nikon introduced an updated 50mm/f1.8 Series E. I would imagine that the 2nd version is AI-S.

I recall that back then, comments in photo magazines were that the Series E lenses were fine optically, but the construction was inferior to the regular AI Nikkors at the time because of more plastic parts. Of course, today, there are many lenses with lots of plastic parts.

Shun - the Series E lenses had AIS features before the "official" introduction of the AIS system. This is one little historical oddity of these lenses. Braczko notes in his book about the original 100/2.8 (1980) that <i>"Like other Series E lenses, it was designed at the outset as an AIS lens..."</i>. The PIM site also has a note that <i>"ALL series E lenses are native AI-S lenses."</i> (<a href="http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/hardwares/classics/emfgfg20/eserieslenses/index.htm">link</a>) In 1981, the Series E were upgraded to the "chrome ring" version to match the appearance of other AIS lenses.<P>

Of course, none of this trivia matters at all to the original poster, who has probably long ago tuned out. :-)<P>

Although there were probably few internal changes, the later chrome ring versions appear to me to be of much better construction. I had one of the original all black 50/1.8E and it looked (and felt) very cheap indeed.<div>00NOX8-39930884.jpg.0ce832c1f8e7178a9d598500b3f97845.jpg</div>

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...