Nikon 50mm 1.8D FEE error w/ D600 body

anna_gleave

<p>I just upgraded to a full frame body (D600) and cannot get my 50mm 1.8D lens to connect. The only time the camera connects with the lens is when it's set to auto and the lens is locked at F/4, but the focus is very slow (it seems like the camera is struggling). When I switch the body into manual mode, the FEE error is constant-- even when I lock the lens at F/22. <br>

<br />Any ideas as to what's going on and how I can fix it?</p>

<p>Thanks! </p>

<p>As Nikon goes into more AF-S lenses, you might consider getting one in the 50mm range. The auto-focus control of the D600 is not just like the one in the Nikon D3 body ... my guess here.</p>

<p>The FEE error is from the lens chip not communicating just right with the camera.</p>

<p>@Robert Bouknight--<br>

The only other camera i've used the lens on is my d5000, and it's not autofocus on that lens.<br>

The focusing ring turns when the lens is off the camera but not incredibly smoothly. The lens is only about 2 years old and very lightly used. <br>

The d600 works with other lenses.<br>

<br />Thanks!</p>

<blockquote>

<p> set to auto and the <em><strong>lens is locked at F/4</strong></em><br>

<em><strong> </strong></em></p>

</blockquote>

<p><em><strong><br /></strong></em>Come again? Not sure you can! If the little orange tab will move over and lock at f4, it's broken. As you said, you need to lock it at f22.... Otherwise, it sounds like a comms issue.<br>

</p>

<blockquote>

<p>The focusing ring turns when the lens is off the camera but not incredibly smoothly<br /><br>

</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I think it should feel really, really light when off the camera....not so much smooth as completely disconnected!<br /></p>

<p>It does sound like an issue with the lens to me. I don't have one of those any more to check, but the focus mechanism should turn fairly smoothly without a lot of effort when the lens is not on a camera. As Shun and others have mentioned, try cleaning the contacts. The lens should be at minimum aperture to work correctly.</p>

<p>The D600 does work well with screw drive focus lenses, in general. I have several that I use with the 600.</p>

<p>BTW, the new 50/1.8G is a significantly improved lens over the D (IMO) that would AF on your D5000</p>

<p>I think Anna needs to make sure that her new D600 body is fully functional. It should work fine with all Nikon AF and AF-D lenses that are not AF-S. Hopefully cleaning the electronic contacts will solve the issue. If not, just in case there is a problem with that D600, you want to know ASAP when you can still return it.</p>

<p>At $220, the new 50mm/f1.8 AF-S is a worthwhile upgrade from the AF-S version, but that is a separate topic.</p>