Nikon 50/1.4 LTM glow or flare problem

dan d. chang

Chris Chen sold me a used Nikon 1.4 lens hood which allmost eliminated any flare problem. Wide open, there is some tendency to flare, but not severe. Center was good, flare was around the edges. Stopped down,flare was never a problem. No highlight glow ever. My lens is clear with no internal haze, but I do try to avoid background that would induce flare. Very nice lens, but mine is not an LTM but a Contax mount. I don't know if there was any formula difference between the LTMs and Contax mounts. From your post, it reads as if your lens may have an internal problem if you are using a hood.

With old lenses, I think you're always going to get some sample variation, both because of manufacturing practices (on the whole, more lax back then than today) & the "life stories" of lenses bought used (some may have suffered damage, fungus, scratches, etc.). That said, all things being equal (optical condition of the lenses, lighting conditions, presence/absence of a hood, etc.), I don't believe that a 5cm/1.4 Nikkor-S @ f/1.4 should give you any more flare problems than the Carl Zeiss, Zeiss-Opton, or Carl Zeiss Jena 50/1.5 Sonnar from the same era @ f/1.5.

Dan, if you can post some photos, maybe we can judge better, but I have a feeling there is a

problem with your lens. I have Nikkor 50/1.4 in LTM I recently acquired and I don't find the

flare as extreme as you describe. The following examples are not into the sun, but they have

bright backgrounds that may give you an idea of how the lens handles highlights. Both

examples were shot without shade or filters.<div>00HwHC-32185184.jpg.a54804a8f17824024a5ee11d614e25f8.jpg</div>

I reviewed my images taken at 1.4 @ 1/30 on EK 400 HD print and saw no evidence of veiling flare. Hood only, no filter. Although rare, John Morris' post on halation may be correct. Before you give up on the lens, you may wish to try another test series with the EK HD 400 as I thought the results were very good, especially on center.

Dan, I revisited my Nikon 1.4 shots and noticed that some image areas, especially at the edges, look somewhat like veiling flare, but under the loupe are just fuzzy out of focus image areas, not flare. Close up at 1.4 depth of field is very shallow so it is easy to get out of focus areas. For testing, you may wish to make sure at the selected distance that your rangefinder is accurately focusing the lens at 1.4. Setting up your camera at 45 degrees to a brick wall and 90 degrees straight on using a tripod and exposing at 1.4 will give you a pretty good idea where your main point of focus lies for the lens.