nikon 35mm lenses on canon dSLR... possible?... how?...

hi...

i am looking at buying a DSLR...

i am on a tight and limited budget...

the thing is...

i am Nikon person as far as 35mm goes...

i have the following Nikon 35mm Gear:

Nikon F65 Body...

50mm AF Nikorr (w/ Aperture Ring)...

28-80mm AF Nikorr (w/o Aperture Ring)...

70-300mm Tamron AF (w/ Aperture Ring)...

Now, in Digital, i have a Canon Powershot A70 3MP Compact...

I Like Canon better in Digital...

However, right now, i HAVE to use my old 35mm lenses as well - can't

spent much... :(...

Is there a way to use the above lenses on a Canon DSLR !?...

Adapters Etc?...

Or should i Stick to Nikon to use those... ?!...

Please Help... :'|...

Regards

Paresh Pandit

Mumbai, IN

To be honest you do not have a ton of money wrapped up in lenses so choose the DSLR system that you prefer. Nikon 1.5x cameras are probably just as good as Canon 1.6x cameras but if you want to build a system over the next few years, while honing your digital skills, towards getting a full frame DSLR then switching to Canon makes sense.

Yes your lenses can be used on a Canon EOS film or digital SLR using a mechanical adapter from China for less than $40. Check out jinfinance on eBay. The "G" lens that you have without an aperture ring can only be used wide open since there is no way of changing the aperture. With the adapter you will have to shoot your other lenses in stopped down metering mode, and you will not have autofocus. The Canon camera will meter with your lenses in Manual and Av modes. Not sure if DX lenses will work with a Canon DSLR or the adapter.

I use several Nikon lenses including AIS, AI, and AF D, on my 10D. No problems.

If you do not envision yourself changing your system much for the next 4-5 years but want to be able to go digital then the easiest thing to do is buy a Nikon DSLR. The D50 and D70s come to mind.

If you want to 'mess around' I am guessing that it should be possible to organise a disc of metal, painted mat black, with a hole in the centre to create an 'aperture' for the lens which has to be used wide-open. The disc should be placed as close to the glass of the lens as possible. It is known as a 'waterhouse stop' and was/is the way some photogs work[ed] in the past/today.

An "f/stop" is calculated by the focal length of the lens and the diameter of the hole. But with the camera's AE it is not critical that you know exactly what aperture you are using, it will sort it out for you.

It is what I did way back when I had a lens without any aperture and I made my stops by drilling holes in English half-pennies :-)