Nikon 35mm 1.4 AFS and 85mm 1.4 AFS Filter Stuck

steve_barrett

<p>When they were new, I attached Nikon NC filters to my Nikon 35 1.4 AFS and 85mm 1.4 AFS lenses. Now, the filters seem fused to the lens threads. They won't budge. I am sure I didn't use excessive force when I attached the filters a couple of years ago. I tried using plastic filter wrenches to remove the filters but they are too firmly stuck to the lenses.</p>

<p>Any suggestions?</p>

<p>Maybe designing these expensive lenses with plastic filter threads wasn't one of Nikon's best ideas...</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Try getting the lens quite warm in your hands and then run an ice cube around the rim of the filter to cool it down. Then try the wrench again. Whenever I've had stuck filters it's always been brute force that triumphs in the end though. Getting enough purchase on the lens and filter is usually an issue, and I've often resorted to a pair of rubber gloves and an "O" ring or elastic band to increase my grip on the things.</p>

<p>In extreme, you can try tapping the edge of the filter with a length of wood, in an anti-clockwise direction. I've used that method to loosen filters too!</p>

<p>When and if you finally do get the filters off, rub a little candle wax into their threads. I've found it makes a perfect filter lubricant that doesn't evaporate or creep onto the glass. Works on glass or plastic mounts.</p>

<p>Something I heard that may do the trick..... Place a sheet of flat rubber on a table and press the filter against it making contact all around. Now rotate the lens counter clockwise. If you're lucky it should come loose.<br>

This method is claimed to not distort the filter by pinching it, making removal easier. </p>

<p>I would try a little more elbow grease on the filters with the wrench. If they're that tough to remove, I would take them to camera shop and have them try. Better yet, if you are near an authorized Nikon repair shop they can do it as well. I doubt they will charge you if the only problem is that they are screwed on too tightly.</p>

<p>If it's been two years since you put them on, this could be a reason why they are so hard to remove. Not a hard and fast rule, but whenever I use another filter (CP, ND), I remove the UV or NC filter and use the other. Also, rarely shoot critical work with a protective filter on (I really only use these for transport and storage). I have a tendency to screw my filters on tightly and I never have a removal problem since they are rarely on the lens for very long.</p>

<p>Steve what I would do is run the end of the lens barrel (facing down) under hot water from the tap for a while to heat it up, thus expanding everything(all be it not very much) and use your wrench then. It works great in the heavy equipment field when something is stuck, except heat source is usually a torch.<br>

Swede</p>

<p>I've been able to remove stuck filters by placing the lens in a freezer or a few hours (or heck, on my back porch in winter.) Different materials contract at different rates and usually I am then able to unscrew the filter using the "face down on rubber sheet" method.</p>

<p>Kent in SD</p>

<p>I was going to suggest something similar to what Glenn S. already wrote. In our kitchen we some some flat pieces of rubber to grip onto things and to open bottles. I suppose an old mouse pad would do also. Maximize the contact between the rim of the filter and the surface with a lot of friction and just turn.</p>

<p>I have quite a few Nikon NC filters, mostly 77mm. None has ever been stuck on my lenses.</p>

<p>At least you are not dealing with a polarizer.</p>

<p>I got a stuck filter off with the rubber band which comes with broccoli. I stretched it arount the filter. Sometimes you have to cut the rubber band down to size. This gives a great grip and usually works. Things used to be the other way around. The filter rim of the lens was steel or brass and the filter threads were either aluminum (Tiffen) or plastic (Rolev). When you have a B&W filter and metal lens filter threads this rarely happens.</p>

Brass filter rings tend to have less trouble with this, unless the lens fronts are the smaller plastic fronts which seem never

to stick. We had a discussion recently about a dropped lens etc over in Weddings/Social and I did some searches. From

what I could find only B+W and Heliopan were still using solid brass.

<p>Many years ago I had a stuck polarizing filter while on a multi-day hike with no tools in sight. We got the thing off by wrapping a string (flat boot lace) around the filter, carefully tightening it with a short stick, and using the contraption as a wrench. It helps to have about six hands to keep the lens stabilized, the string from slipping, and turning the filter. It worked surprisingly well.</p>
Christoph Geiss