Nikon 300mm F4 older version with D700/D300

rayyeager

<p>Anyone use this combo with a teleconverter for birds. I have a chance to pick up the older version (300mm F4 Ed If AF) for $600. Supposed to be slower than the new 300 F4, but how slow. Is it workable for birds on a D700/D300? I'm aware of the 82mm front filter and the sock lens cover. Thanks ... Ray.</p>

<p>I sold my 300/4 AF IF-ED a few months ago. Worked fine alone or with a Tamron 1.5x on my D200 or D300. AF is slow but with careful adjustment of the very useful focus limiter ring things can be sped up considerably. Without limiter, AF is about as slow as with the 80-400, with proper use of the limiter, it can become a tad faster. Tracking moving objects usually isn't the problem, focus acquisition is - and the more you can restrict the range with the limiter, the faster things become. The newer 300/4 AF-S - though faster - is no real speed demon either; maybe a faster by a factor of two (but with a less useful focus limiter). This image was shot with the 300/4 AF IF-ED</p><div>00UkXa-180493684.jpg.7d897c45b39a9e4fa406bb0ce5e02671.jpg</div>

<p>I recently picked up an older 300 mm f/4 AF (non-S, same as yours) for my D300. Love it so far, but haven't had the opportunity to take many bird shots yet. If you get a TC, the Nikon ones won't permit auto focus. To get auto focus, you've got to use the Kenko or the Tamron TC's that allow the in-camera motor to focus the lens.<br>

BTW, an alternative to the "sock" is a real lens cap, but only one that says "Tamron" on it. Nikon doesn't make an 82 mm cap.</p>