Nikon 300mm f/2.8 AI and AI-s

BeBu Lamar

According to Peter Braczko's guilde: Complete Nikon System

There are two different AI-S versions of the 300mm/f2.8. The first AI-S version differs from the older AI because AI-S version 1 has an additional clear, protection filter in front. AI-S version 2 can focus closer down to 9.8 feet/3 meters.

More info on Roland Vink's web site: Nikon Lenses

Personally, I would recommend getting something like the first or second AF-S version, both of which have a traditional aperture ring. I think you can benefit from a newer optical formula and a lens that just isn't so old. And if an E lens with electrometic aperture control is acceptable, the 200-500mm f5.6 AF-S VR will likely beat any 300mm f2.8 + a 2x TC, but of course that will be 500mm instead of 600mm.

Edited by ShunCheung

I had one of the AI versions in rough condition. It was not great, must of had something not right with it based on the reputation of the lens.

I think the hidden bargain gems are the earlier screw drive AF versions. AF action with D3 or later bodies is plenty fast enough for tracking human movement. I had one of the first AF variants, then replaced it with an AF-S version 1. The AF-S is slightly better optically and focuses faster, but I would undo the deal if I could. The first version AF that I had was a good bit better than the AI version I had (that probably wasn't right) and as a reference it was better than the 300/4 AF I had before the 2.8, as well.

> It would be twice as much money. My camera doesn't have many pixels.

Then would it not be better to get a camera with more pixels? The 300 f/2.8 will give you more subject isolation than the cheaper options, but if you're after reach...

Nah! I don't upgrade my camera. It has enough pixels for me when I bought it and my need doesn't change with time like others. I don't care for subject isolation I prefer more DOF rather than less but I intend to use it with the TC-300.

Edited by bebu_lamar

Don't know if you noticed, KEH has one for less than $700.

Exactly which version is that one at KEH? I assume it is one of the old manual focus 300mm/f2.8.

If the objective is to get to 600mm, both Sigma and Tamron have/had 150-600mm zooms around $1000, although it is f6.3 on the 600mm end. I think those will beat some old 300mm/f2.8 plus a 2X TC, and you get AF, although probably not great AF. Once upon a time I had a 500mm/f8 mirror Nikkor. Manual focus with those slow super tele is challenging.

It was a pop up ad -- now gone. It was manual focus AI if I recall correctly. I bought the ED 600 5.6 and have been very pleased with its performance -- razor sharp. Because of that, I was actually considering the the 300 myself, which is why the ad popped up -- I had searched. I still have the 500 F8 Cat -- its advantage is small size and light weight. Good light and results aren't bad at all, if you don't mind doughnut bokeh.

Yes, both AI & AIs optics are the same but you have a better chance of getting a cleaner one with the AIs. I had one and sold it because I was getting better images with my 300mm f4 EDIF AF-D and it's much easier to hand hold.

I also own the 400mm F3.5 EDIF Ais that you can often find cheaper because people want the f2.8. And I'll never part with my 600mm f5.6 EDIF AIs which is as sharp as my 50mm. I use all of these for astrophotography wide open and they are fantastic lenses.

But this is the wrong time of year to shop for one (any Nikkor), the best time is right before Christmas when people are hurting for money and give them away. Both 400 & 600 were found for about $700 each in excellent condition with cases. This time of year they are almost double. Shop wisely.

Yes, both AI & AIs optics are the same but you have a better chance of getting a cleaner one with the AIs. I had one and sold it because I was getting better images with my 300mm f4 EDIF AF-D and it's much easier to hand hold.

I also own the 400mm F3.5 EDIF Ais that you can often find cheaper because people want the f2.8. And I'll never part with my 600mm f5.6 EDIF AIs which is as sharp as my 50mm. I use all of these for astrophotography wide open and they are fantastic lenses.

But this is the wrong time of year to shop for one (any Nikkor), the best time is right before Christmas when people are hurting for money and give them away. Both 400 & 600 were found for about $700 each in excellent condition with cases. This time of year they are almost double. Shop wisely.

Thanks! I wait for X'mas time. I am not in a hurry.

• 2 weeks later...

Bargains come up all the time on Ebay. You need to check the new listings every morning. Some nice equipment is often gone in the first few hours of posting because they were listed as "buy it now" and the price was too low. Change search wording around as well, I've gotten different hits looing for Nikon vs Nikkor

More important though is read the fine print. Some sellers "has some dust, normal" has turned out to be fungus. Situations like that will handled as "not as described or damaged" and Ebay will make good, but you'll waste time and possibly shipping costs. If you find a mint lens it might be worth it to pay a little extra.

Best of luck finding your lens.