Nikon 28mm vs. Nikon 28mm

Two23

<p>Well, I got one! I bought a Nikon F3/T and now have it. It looks like it wasn't even used! No marks around tripod hole, no marks anywhere. I'm almost afraid to take it out and use it! Almost. I have a nice Nikon 50mm f1.2 AiS also, and a Nikon 105mm f2.5 AiS on the way. The last lens I'm looking for is a 28mm. I've been trying to snag a 28mm f2 AiS as they are reported to be a great classic lens, but then remembered I already have a 28mm in my closet leftover from my F100 days. It's an original 28mm f4 PC. I do shoot small town architecture and this lens works well for that.</p>

<p>Here's my question. I bought the F3/T for casual shooting, especially summer festivals, "street" shooting, antique tractor shows, etc. I really like it's cool looks! Mostly I shoot b&w film in my film cameras. The 28mm f2 would be a far better match for what I shoot most often. It's quicker to use, more convenient, multi-coated, and is two stops faster. OTOH, the 28mm PC has shift AND it looks so cool! So, I don't know. They are worth about the same $$. I suppose all in all I'd get more use out of the 28mm f2, mainly because it will work with the F3/t meter. Anyway, that F3/T is just gorgeous! Why did I wait so long to buy one? (Oh yeah, they used to cost a fortune!)</p>

<p>One thing I'll add is that the focus screen doesn't seem to like the 28mm PC. I'm finding it very difficult to focus for some reason. That might be a deal killer.</p>

<p>Kent in SD</p>

<p>I have a heavy-used brassed regular F3. With my equally heavy used looking slightly dent AiS 35mm f/1.4, it is just the deal. There is nothing mint about it, a classic which has had a life before. It works perfectly (lens and camera). So, get that 35mm f/1.4 - the old journalist combo back in action ;-)<br>

Seriously - yes, I would get the 28mm f/2 given the uses you describe, if the budget allows. The PC lens still has its place alongside. But a fast wide lens is so much fun, and having a lens that is easier to use for festivals and street is worth it.</p>

<p>I have to agree, you know the 28/2 is going to be the more useful so grab one when you can, you'll just keep wishing for one. The first time I put a 28/3.5 on my F2 was the most eye opening day I've ever had as a photographer and it's still a favorite.</p>

<p>Rick H.</p>

<p>For many, many years, the only lenses I had for my F2 were a 28 3.5, 50 f/2, 105 2.5 and 200 f/4, so your combination brings back old memories. I was able to do a lot of work with just those four. <br /><br />Normally i would not recommend having two lenses of the same focal length. Unless you need to shoot wide open at f/2, the 28 you have is probably just fine. But it is a specialty lens and I would not blame you if you really wanted to have both 28's. <br /><br />My 28 3.5 was a beast. It was an H series (not even AI'd) and was used when I bought it. It was fine the first couple of years, then the old optical block started coming loose from the focusing mount. At first I could tighten down some tiny screws and get it back together. Then I had to take it in for repair and it lasted a while but still kept coming loose. At some point the lever that would make the aperture open and close stopped worked. I finally got it all jammed together with the aperture stopped down to f/16 and the focus set midway so everything from a foot or two to infinity would be with depth of field. Used it that way for a couple of more years, then finally got a good deal on a 35 f/2. The old 28 is still on a shelf, both for sentimental value and because I'd probably be lucky to get $20 for it.</p>

<p>Went out shooting with the 28mm PC tonight. It's wonderful for those times I need the shift, but otherwise this lens is just to slow in getting the shot. I got the F3/T for fast "walk around" and general purpose shooting. I also like night shooting, and the 28mm PC is a bit difficult to focus in low light. SO.........a few hours ago I saw a 28mm f2 AiS in excellent condition for a fairly low price. So I snapped it up immediately. Should have it (and a 105mm f2.5 AiS) next week. Don't need two 28mm lenses so I'm going to sell the PC.</p>

<p>Kent in SD</p>

<p>Well, I do have a 4x5 Chamonix (and to be honest, a 4x5 Century No. 46 and 4x5 Gundlach Korona!) plus at least a dozen lenses from three time periods for them. The movements on the Chamonix 045n are much greater than what the 28 PC can give. I'm trying to reduce the overall amount of camera gear I have lying around so it will at least weigh less than a ton. Camera gear seems to collect in the odd spaces of my house like dust bunnies.</p>

<p>Kent in SD</p>