Nikon 28mm f3.5 vs 28mm f2.8

david_schofield

The f3.5 is a sharper lens according to serious tests conducted by Modern Photography some time ago. The resolution scores were significantly higher at middle apertures (peak being f8, I believe) for the f3.5 than the f2.8. The f2.8 with its floating elements and closer focus would be ideal for close ups and would probably better the f3.5 there due to its floating element (or is that plural?).

IF you go for the f3.5, get the latest model (smaller front element) as the optics have been improved over the vintage version.

Hi David,

<p>I got a 28mm/2.8 AIS Series E Nikon and i have shot one roll with it. I found it pretty sharp of a $100 lens. However I have <b>read</b> that the 28mm/2.8 AIS is the better lens. Note my lens is series E lens.

<p>Here is a pic i took a few weeks ago with this lens:

<a href =http://www.photo.net/photo/1016633&size=md>The band </a>

• 1 month later...

I have a 28mm f3.5 Ai. The image quality is decent enough. Useable wide open (some vignetting), quite good sharpness stopped down. Good flare resistance.

The main drawback, imo, is focusing. A wideangle already has plenty of DOF, and with the f3.5 aperture, the image doesn't really snap into focus. The f3.5 also lacks the f2.8's CRC construction.