All:

I have found this forum very useful and people here are also

very knowledgable about photography. I am thinking about buying a

Nikon 24-85/3.5-4.5G lense, the only thing concerns me is that it

does not have an apeture ring. I guess it doesn't really matter if

I don't ever get a manuel camera or older model of Nikon. Also I

have another choice of Nikon 24-85/2.8-4D. But I have heard the

previous "G" serie lense has better optical quality, which is very

important to me. So, what you guys say:)?

I'm with Naji on this one. I have both D type lenses and one G type, and the G is not the quality of the D type. They do make a G with extra-low dispersion glass, though. The ED should be a good lens.

They both report distance information to the camera, though, so they will work with nikon ambient and flash metering systems exactly the same (3d-matrix metering).

Possibly me - The 24-85 is in a different class to previous G lenses - I think it signals a change from nikon along with the new 70-200 VR AFS da da dah lens.... Anyway - I have one, and am very impressed with it - queit, small and sharp enough in my testing - Not as good as primes, but it is only the size of an 85mm F1.8 with the hood on the 85mm...

I own the "G" lens you are referring to. Let me clear some things up real quick. "G" lenses suck! However, this particular lens does not. In fact, it is better than the "D" counterpart you mentioned. First, it is ED-IF. Second, it is AF-S (SonicWave quiet autofocus - really quiet). This in itself does not make the lens better. However, the quality of the images I am getting is amazing, especially since the "G" lens only cost me a little more than the "D" series you mentioned.

What normally makes the "G" lenses so bad? Well, a number of things. The primary reason is that the lens elements are simply fitted into pre-made slots. Most lens are not made this way. It is a cheaper method, but it also leads to lens being laid crooked. This particular "G" lens in not made this way.

So, which should you buy? Well, that depends on your camera. If you have a newer Nikon that does not require an apeture ring and that has the "depth-of-field preview" button, then buy the "G". However, if your camera is otherwise or you plan to use this lens on older cameras, then buy the "D".

For more info about the "G" lens mentioned above, see this link:

http://www.nikonusa.com/usa_product/product.jsp?cat=1&grp=5&productNr=2141NCP

Hunter Harrison