Nikon 24-70 focusing noise

chataut

<p>Hi,<br>

After a long wait I finally received my Nikon 24-70/2.8 however I noticed that while focusing it makes a crackling sound. The sound is not very loud but it almost seems like a lens with VR trying to stabilize. My 18-200 sounds much quieter than 24-70. Did I get a bad copy of the lens? Anyone else experience this?<br>

Thank you for your response.</p>

<p>I tried a few of my own AF-S lenses before responding and none of them make that much sound when focusing. </p>

<p>Nice job posting that video so that any responders can hear exactly what you're talking about. So many times it's a lot of guesswork trying to figure out what people are trying to describe.</p>

<p>Surya,<br>

Your lens is absolutely fine, the ultrasonic motor in 24-70 is way juicer than the one in a cheap lens like 18-200, it has to move those huge elements rapidly so it needs high torque. As long as it snaps into focus rapidly and there is no cracking/rattling sound after focus has locked your lens is fine. </p>

<p>Arash, I did more test today and one thing that I noticed is that it does not not always focus fast. I compared with my 50mm/1.8 and 50mm always focused fast but 24-70 at times made the crackling sound and at the end of may be 4-5 crackle it was able to focus. Just to let you know I always tried to focus on a spot where there was enough contrast to allow easy focus. None of my local camera shop has this lens; I wish I could compare it with another copy of it. </p>

• 3 weeks later...