nikon 18-35d

timecut

Tim,

I was asking a similar question regarding my 24-50mm. I also own the 20mm 2.8 AFD. Scroll down to read my post which discusses the 18-35mm. It is interesting how many opinions are out there - everything from bad to excellent. Sounds to me like it is a fine lens but so is your 20mm. I think I will keep my 20mm and 24-50mm zoom. Good luck.

Tim, a year ago I did essentially the same thing. I got the 17-35mm/f2.8 zoom and sold my 20mm/f2.8. During the brief period when I had both lenses, I did some tests and the 17-35 is every bit as good as the 20mm at all apertures. The zoom gives me a lot of flexability and I am very glad that I made the switch, as I started shooting at 17mm fairly often. Of course the 17-35 AF-S is very expensive and should be expected to be a great performer.

Your mileage may vary and different people will have different preferences, but IMO it is an excellent move to replace the 20mm by a good zoom in the 18-35 range. And as far as I know the 18-35 is a fine lens, not as great as the 17-35 AF-S but only costs about 1/3.

The MTF data from Nikon indicates that the 18/35 is about as good as the 17/35. Differences are minor. What is not minor is the additional cost for the 17/35 and its humongous size and weight. There will be ergonomic considerations in the selection which also involve AF-S vs non AF-S.