Nikon 12-24

bill_kleimen

Does anyone have any information on the Tokina Zoom Super Wide Angle

AF 12-24mm f/4 AT-X 124AF Pro DX lens? At half the price of the Nikon

12-24 it is of interest. I understand the first shipment of these

lenses sold out instantly and that there is a waiting list. (I have

been advised to stay away from the Sigma 12-24.)

Bill,

If you are price sensitive, buy the Tokina. I have the Nikon 12 24 and it is a great lens. My prime lens is a Tokina 28-75 2.8 dx and I think it is great. The worst that happens is somehow you convince yourself this lens sucks and you can probably ebay it for 3/4 of what you paid for it. Think of it as renting to buy.

Good luck

Bill - at these extreme WA ranges i would always try to do test shots with any lens from any manufacturer. What i heard from friends who own the 12-24 sigma (on Canon) was that two out of three had their lens send back after a few weeks of use to be recentered by sigma. All three liked the lens as it came and the low price. After service they are really happy with this lens. The reason why they send it in for service was that after a few hundred images they "tested" the lens and found out about the "uneven sharpness" that seemed to be noticeable but only difficult to pinpoint in normal shots. The sigma Service apparently worked well here in Germany - apparently better than final quality control at production. When I tested 2 Sigma 12-24 on my D70 both were impressive and excellent out of the box in sharpness and contrast. But i noticed a problem with the light metering. See this thread:

http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00AG59

So I ended up with the Nikon zoom. If I would use the 12-24 zoom most of the time I would have preferred the Sigma since its so easy to correct for 1/2 f-stop. Many times corrections like this have to be taken anyway. But I do change lenses quite often and in this case I do not want to have to worry if I forgot the reset the compensation.

• 1 year later...