Nikon 105mm Macro vs Tamron 90mm Macro(Category:Nikon)

coastallight

I have used the manual focus Tamron 90mm for years -- it remains one of my favorite lenses. I suspect that the AF version is even better in many respects. Either lens will give outstanding results and I doubt anyone could distinguish photos made by either one from each other. Get the lens that you can afford. The 90mm will crop to 135 on a DSLR, whereas the 105 will be about 160. That might make more of a difference.

I have the old Tamron SP90 and it is very sharp, however. There are 2 disadvantages to this lens. The one is the irritating focusing ring which slides into AF too easily (Maybe the new SP90 solved this problem) and secondly the front element of the lens moves forward as you focus.

I'm not sure if the Nikon will be able to calculate the distance to subject and then match the exposure (and flash) more accurately. So you might get better exposed subjects with the Nikon than with any other lens.

Antonius

• 2 weeks later...
Why the price difference? AF silent wave motor. VR-II. IF - all internal focus with virtually no change in work distance throughout the entire range from infinity to 1:1. 14 elements. 9 blade diaphragm. Lens coatings. Did I miss something else?