nikkor zooms comparison - help

ashley_griffin1

I am traveling to africa on a photography trip and have a question

regarding the type of zoom lens to use. I have an N80 Nikkon camera.

Would it be better to use the 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6 ED VR AF Nikkor or

the 80-200mm f/2.8 ED AF with a teleconverter? I would like a fast

lens but I am not sure if the VR benefits out weigh the slower focus.

Please advise.

Thank you

If I had the 80-400 I would definitely use that. Generally you do not have to focus rapidly. VR has its advantages when people are moving around in the van, when it has stopped. Also, 400 mm is very useful for animals at a distance as many parks now restrict the vehicles to the roads and not cross-country. If you spot a leopard in a tree (that is where you usually find them) you will want, at least, a 400!

Smaller animals like Rock Hyrax and Bush Babies need long glass, too.

If you have a small fast lens in the 35-85mm range, bring it along. There are a few places like the city market in Nairobi where the available light is not too great.

I am sure that you have heard to take plenty of film. Even if you have more than you need, you can easily sell the extra rolls.

Alex

Perhaps not quite the answer you wanted, but two years ago I traveled in Zimbabwe--shooting from both a Landrover and from foot. I found that an 80-200/2.8 and a 300/2.8 AFS with a 2x converter were a great combo for the truck. When walking (with a gitzo tripod) I would take the 300/2.8, convertor, and a 20/2.8. From the Landrover, I would use the 80-200 on one body and the 300 on another--be sure they provide you with a beanbag and you carry something to cover the cameras while riding--no time to be digging in a bag for equipment and it can be very dusty.