Nikkor MF 28mm 1:2.8 AI vs AIs

arachnophilia

i was so excited today to actually find a 28mm 2.8 a local shop,

what with the reputation i've heard, that i just up and bought it.

for the lens, 225 seemed a reasonable price considering this lens

looks and feels like it's never been used. (the focus ring is still

stiff)

but i get home, do a little more research, and lo and behold i have

the AI version, NOT the AIs one. here i am thinking i had one of the

best lenses nikon ever made, for a modest price, and now it's not

what i expected.

so my question is this: is the difference really THAT big of a deal?

the 10 centimeter focusing difference with the CRC doesn't matter to

me. i'm just curious about the coma at the edges, sharpness, and

barrel distortion. looking through the finder, there doesn't seem to

be nearly any distortion, and the coma seems to dissappear at f/4,

just like the AIs is supposed to be. but i haven't got any film back

from it just yet.

also, i'm a relatively broke photography student who is looking to

make the move to 6x7 soon, so having my 35mm system top of the line

won't be terribly important to me for artistic purposes once i do.

so basically, is it worth the money, or do i take it back, and keep

working on hunting down the better AIs version?

Jeff,

Somehow $225 does not seem like a big-time bargain for this lens. I paid less for my 28mm F2 with CLA and Factory-Parts conversion to AI. I doubt that the F2.8 AI lens would bring $225 on Ebay if you had to resell it; closer to 125~150.

As you are a poor student, and saving towards a 6x7, I would return it. If you need a wide-angle for "casual use", the 28mm f3.5 lenses are very cheap.

I would agree that you did not get a great bargain. I paid $170 for a mint AIS version a year or so back. The difference between the AI and AIS? I can't say since I've only used the AIS version. That's the one with the great reputation. Since that's not what you got you will always be looking for the flaws and never have confidence in the lens. I'd say return it.

Hello

You have definitely overpaid for this lens! It should not be worth more than $150. I would return it and find a cheaper one somewhere else such as ebay. The 28mm/2.8 is a very sharp lens indeed, but the AIs is sharper!

It is true that the AIs version of this lens is optically different from the AI version, being an upgraded version with CRC and closer focusing. Quality-wise, the AIs should also bring better and sharper results. I would buy the AIs version of this lens, if possible.

Other than this optical difference, characteristic to the 28mm/2.8, there are some mechanical differences between all the AI and AIs lenses regarding how the aperture lever is mechanically connected to the aperture blades. To keep it short, AIs lenses were optmised for the Nikon FA and F2000 in order to make sure that these cameras can "find" the right aperture when working in S or P modes. With AI lenses, these cameras might be trying to stop down the lenses at f5.6, but end up with f8, and the wrong exposure. So generally AIs lenses are only preferred if you are using an FA or F2000 camera. Otherwise, an AI is usually cheaper.

Regards

Leo