Nikkor lens on EOS

darklights

I shoot manual focus nikon and digital with EOS. I purchased an F to EOS adapter since I already have a slew of lenses. Quite honestly I do not reccomend going this route unless you already have the investment in Nikon glass (that was my situation). You will only get manual focus and stop down metering with the EOS bodies. It would be much better for you to just get a Canon zoom.

An older MF Nikon Micro lens is another matter altogether since macro photography is generally slow and purposfull, and often done with MF anyways.

I have a 20D and an Nikon-EOS adapter. My $100 used Nikon 80-200 F4.5 Non-AI works

very nicely. The version I have is large, heavy, multicoated and quite sharp. I'd recommend

it highly if you can get used to the handling. It may be

better than the consumer Canons (If I can focus it correctly, not always the case!) but the

Canon L lenses may be better (please no flame war, this nikkor is almost 30 years old and

$$$$ less!!) I also have a Nikkor 105 f2.5 and a pre-AI Nikkor 85 f1.8, all work nicely. I'm

planning on getting an EOS 85mm lens to replace the nikkor, the USM/AF and the optics

are very nice.

<P>I think the clarity you're experiencing may be comparing mid to high-end nikkors

(especially late AI Nikkor primes) against low-end Canon zooms.

<P>I' ve never used a 28-200 zoom, so I can't comment on that. Note that a wide zoom

28-70 or 24-120 Nikkor may be very hard to focus in the 20D's vewfinder, I have some

difficulties focussing my 24mm F2.8 nikkor on my 20D.

<P> I haven't directly compared my Nikkors to their EOS cousins, I use my adapted

Nikkors because I already had them,

and I went EOS digital for business and workflow / User-Interface reasons. For the wider

lenses, I found manually focussing Nikon lenses on EOS harder than telephoto lenses, so I

got an EOS zoom, but I use my 24mm Nikkor sometimes when I want a flatter field than

the EOS zoom... strange how I used to complain about that 24mm nikkor, but with the APS

sized frame, it's flatter-field than my EOS zoom.

<P>I'm not sure you'll find that much more Nikkor clarity than Canon clarity, I use my

nikkors because that's what I already had, and I have to admit, the combination of the

20D's focussing system and a Canon USM lens is extremely nice. I use my adapted

nikkors on a tripod or in bright light, not for grab shots or work with flash.

I Only asked because I was thinking about surprising my daughter with a Nikon when she gets to college. She has a Canon already and I thought it'd be nice if she could cross use the lenses via adapter since I have given her a couple Canon lenses already. She doesn't mind manual focus either, actually I think she prefers it. As to the slight sarcasm...meh! to each his\her own.

<p><b><i>I can see the holiday promotion now... </b></i></p>

<blockquote>

<p>A well-dressed, lovely couple snuggles on the sofa on Christmas evening, sipping a steaming cup of cocoa with the lights of the tree in the background. Torn wrapping paper and empty gift boxes are strewn on the floor around them. She nuzzles into his chest and softly coos, "<i>Thank you, honey. What a wonderful Christmas.</i>"</p>

<p>He kisses her forehead and shifts his body slightly, when a slightly surprised and uncomfortable look flashes across his face. Reaching behind him, he retrieves a small square gift box stuck in the cushions of the sofa. "<i>Well, we must have missed one. Where did this come from?</i>" he asks. "<i>It's got your name on it, sweetie -- must be from Santa.</i>"</p>

<p>Her eyes light up and she takes the small box from him. As she opens the box slowly, the camera pans from her hands up to her face, tears welling up in her eyes. "<i>It's beautiful, honey</i>" she says, and leans over to give him a big romantic kiss. As they sink into the couch, the camera pans down to the open gift sitting on the table next to their cocoa -- a high magnification finder for her F5.</p>

<p>The words flash across the screen: <b><i>"This Christmas -- Surprise her with Nikon"</i></b></p>

</blockquote>

In all seriousness -- using Nikon glass on a Canon body is going to be a pain in the butt, regardless of any adapter. Manual focus is the least of her worries. A bigger pain is going to be having to use stop-down metering. Unless she is OK with that level of inconvenience, you might want to consider another gift.

Stephen.

I am a little confused. You said she has a Canon and Canon lenses. Then you said you want to get her a Nikon Body and Nikon lenses (I assume from what you wrote). If you do get her a Nikon and Nikon lenses she will NOT be able to use her Canon leses on the Nikon, and will have to sell them anyways.

However if you are only looking to purchase Nikon lenses for use with her Canon Body then I think you are making a big mistake (especially with the zooms).

Yeah, don't turn your daughter's camera life in to compatibility hell. If she has Canon

already, why not get her a Canon lens? Has she expressed dissatisfaction with Canon? If

not, I don't think you'd be doing her a favor by trying to impose your Nikonian attitude

upon her.

By the way, Nikkor and Canon lenses compete pretty well with one another.