Nikkor lens on Contax/yc camera

blumesan

<p>I own two "classic" film cameras: Contax 139Q and Contax RTS-II.<br>

I also use a Nikon digital slr for which I have a few manual focus (AI, AIS) lenses. I am interested in trying to mount <strong>these lenses on the Contax cameras</strong>.<br>

A search of the net returns hundreds of adapters which allow the use of Zeiss/Contax lenses on Nikon (and other) dslrs, but no adapter which permits the reverse attachment I am seeking.<br>

Perhaps no such adapter exists, or perhaps I missed it. Also possible that a basic incompatibility prevents construction of such an adapter.<br>

Would appreciate any information that may help my search.</p>

<p>The following assumes that one wishes to avoid an auxiliary element inside their adapter (allows for infinity focus).</p>

<p>Contax/Yashica film flange distance is <strong>45.5</strong> millimeters.<br /> Nikon F film flange distance is <strong>46.5</strong> millimeters.</p>

<p>These specs show us that a Nikon lens <strong>in theory</strong>, with one millimeter to "play with", can have an adapter produced that focuses to infinity when mounted to a Contax SLR.<br /> <strong>But</strong>, one also has to consider the design of the lens bayonet "claws". The three pronged "claw" of the Nikon is larger in diameter then that of the Contax design. So the "claw" of the Nikon requires an adapter thick enough to clear the Contax obstructions. Unfortunately this isn't possible within just one millimeter. A thicker adapter would allow clearing the dimension differences, but then you'd lose the ability for the Nikon lens to focus to infinity when mounted to a Contax.</p>

<p>Finally in the opinion of many, Zeiss glass on Nikon makes sense, but Nikkor glass on Contax bodies isn't really an advantage...</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Thanks to all who replied.<br>

Your answers confirm my unsuccessful web search.<br>

I have no intent to modify either the Zeiss or Nikkor lenses to fit the alternate bodies. BTW I am very pleased with the performance of the MF Nikkor lenses on my D800 body. Needless to say I am also very happy with the performance of the Zeiss lenses on the Contax bodies. So I guess I'll just carry on as I have been.</p>

<p>Thanks again.</p>