Nikkor Lens Fungus Removal?

Vincent Peri

I have a Nikkor 105mm f/2.5 AIS lens in excellent condition, EXCEPT for some fungus in several places.

Does anyone have an idea how much it will cost to get it removed? I'm thinking about sending it to APS (Authorized Photo Service). Are they reasonable price-wise?

Thanks.

Speaking of my own experience from MANY (least 10 plus) years ago about the 28 2.8 Ai-S lens for removal of fungus on the very last rear element with some coating repair as observed, by APS (don't remember exactly which one but sent to somewhere in mid-west of states as recalled today), and job got done very well like new and still the same look, feel and results as day one after repaired, cost wise, was around 150 dollars back then.
workonit

I think if I can get the fungus removed for $150 or less, I'll go ahead with it. It's a really nice lens otherwise.

I'm looking for several repair places and asking for an estimate.

By the way, this is the same lens I had with fungus back in 2017. I asked here on photo.net :

How Much Does Fungus in a Lens Lower Its Value?

Strange, but I almost completely forgot about that thread. But I'm 70 years old, so I get a pass LOL.

• Like 2

So long as you make sure the fungus inside the lens is "most sincerely dead", you might just accept it as a slightly "soft-focus" lens.

There can be an incredible amount of fungus/damage to lensees before they become totally useless.

• Like 2

I can't believe that idiot smashed a radioactive lens, remembering that a cloud of dust came from it. My Physics Lab for Alpha emitters emphasized that the only danger was ingesting any of the material as it would cause damage to tissue.

Via the Wayback Machine.

Brian Ayling's photographic repair tips

For Fungus: A UV lamp will usually kill it, and bleach radiation damage from Thoriated glass. Which is what the idiot should have done.

Edited by Brian