NIKKOR-H Auto 3.5 F=2.8cm No Meter markings?

jdleffler

I have an interesting problem with regard to my Non-AI NIKKOR-H Auto 3.5 F=2.8cm

Nippon Kogaku lens. I hope someone may have the answer here. Frankly, if anyone

has the answer it will be a member here. So the question is this: I have

looked high and low for a reference to this lens (see picture). As you may note

there are NO meter markings on this lens. I have not been able to find any

specifications that do not include meter markings or any reference to this

non-meter marked specific lens. Does anyone know anything about this older lens?

Thanks for any assistance you can provide.

Sincerely,

David Leffler<div>00OHNd-41484784.jpg.22a3382bd03ebae432306dca037302c3.jpg</div>

Well there is a reference after all:

http://www.destoutz.ch/lens_2.8cm_f3.5_323703.html

However, I don't know the serial range of this particular lens, nor anything else about it. Can anyone assist?

Thanks so much for looking at this. This lens may be a well know US variant but then again that is why I'm asking questions rather than answering them.

Sincerely,

David

It is an early version of the 28mm F3.5 and there are hundreds of references to it on the web. The ep marking is for the US importer EPOI as the focus scale is in feet only.

What do you mean by meter markings? Metre focus scale markings or the secondary arpeture marks on the later AI lenses.

Actually, the EP mark indicates that this was a duty free lens for sale in US military PX shops. As such, it's uncommon but not that rare. I don't know what the EP actually stands for (perhaps it's ExPort) but it isn't EPOI because these cameras and lenses bypassed EPOI completely.

BTW, the reason for no meter markings is pretty simple. Because these items were only marketed thru the US military PX stores, the metric markings were left off in order to keep it simple and probably reduce the cost slightly.

It must be a lens that was made specifically for U.S. sale. Several camera companies in the old days used to make "feet only" or "meters only" versions of their lenses, before it became common practice to combine them on the same scale.

I would imagine that EP might mean Ex-Port. Many post-war Japanese products were marked with some sort of identification when they were intended for export or local sale to foreigners (as in the Naval Exchange, etc.)

Keith

Should have typed "This mark was put *on* lenses with higher Q.C. and was strictly for export to the US."

David, Q.C. = Quality Control. Those lenses that bear the mark <EP> were meant for professional use and hence had a better quality control chcek before the <EP> mark was engraved.

Thanks Vivek, this is interesting information indeed. Do you know of any online references I can access with regard to various lens manufacturers Quality Control specifications that would validate marking a lens with an <EP>? Or perhaps your information came from some prior research or a book or brochure?

I had hoped that this was the case but I am finding it difficult to find authoritative validation in this instance.

Thank you so much for what you have provided so far and certainly I would appreciate any further information.

Sincerely,

David

I too would like to hear the proof for EP meaning "Editorial Photography". It seems to me that I have seen this stamped on post-war Japanese products that have nothing to do with photography equipment. Besides, "Editorial Photography" is not a widely known phrase, and it certainly is not synonymous with "professional photography", or implicit of higher quality. Methinks Vivek Iyer is making a wee funny.

Keith

Keith, I would like to see the <EP> stamp on non photographic items.

Editorial Photography isn't synonymous with "professional" photography?

Hmm.. I thought many magazine cover shots in Time and others made big impressions on everyone not to mention putting the quality of Nikon (and other Japanese) lenses on the map. The time line is quite relevant.

David, Should I find any online links on what you asked for, I will let you know. The 25/3.5 Canon lens I mentioned, certainly had better seals on the screws (glued up) relative to the ones I had seen without the <EP> engraving (even the untouched samples).

By my "synonymous" statement, I meant that I highly doubt that any of the editorial shooters of the day were using these cameras.

The "Editorial Photography" meaning is far from true. I want to know why you think it is. That's all.

Found on Rangefinder forum:

"Mark W

03-12-2005, 22:54

This information is from Peter Decherts book "Canon Rangefinder Cameras 1933-68"

There was a requirement put in place by the occupation forces after WWII that all Japanese products be marked. "Made in Occupied Japan" abbreviated as MIOJ. This began to appear on model S-II Canons with serial number 20000 sometimes with the ideogram <CPO> (Central Purchasing Office) which stood for an item sold through the Military Post Exchange system. This first mark only lasted about a year before it was replaced with the <EP> mark in Red we all see so often. The CPO version can be found in Japanese charcters as well though rare. The MIOJ make was dropped in 1951 in the Model III line.

This <EP> mark can be found on all types of products not just Canon cameras. This <EP> mark can be found on Canon camera's as recent as FTb's from 1971-72.

It has nothing to do with quality or any other aspect of the cameras manufacturer. And while there are a couple of models of Canon RF's that are rarely found without the mark as they were made specifically for the Military Exchange. The model IIF were almost all sold through the Exchange system and is know as the PX camera for this reason

I have paraphrased most of this info and would have rather provided a link to the info directly but as the book is out of print and not to the best of my knowledge on line in any form.

The information is all based on Peter's work who's book I think any Canon RF user should find a copy of and buy."