Nikkor-H Auto 1:1.8 85mm

mark45831

Congratulations on you acquisition, Mark. the image looks great. From the DOF, I assume you shot at or close to f/1.8.

While trying to see what a Nikkor-H Auto was, I came upon this site:

LINK Nikkor-H 85mm f/1.8 lens | Photographs, Photographers and Photography (pindelski.org)

A link in the site lead me here: LINK Lens profiles | Photographs, Photographers and Photography (pindelski.org)

Mr. Pindelski has generated Lightroom/Camera RAW lens profiles for many of the old manual focus Nikkor lenses - your new acquisition and several that I have. I have not tried them yet, but they look promising. At least my anti-virus software gave them a pass. You may find them useful, if you use Lightroom.

I have the lens in Ai-converted form. One nice thing about using a Z camera is you can take advantage of the lower—sometimes much lower—prices of non-Ai lenses!

The flip side of that is one of the reasons I still don't have a Z camera: it can't tell what aperture a fully mechanical lens is set to—even if it is Ai. I hate not having the taking aperture in EXIF.

I really wish a third party would make an adapter with an Ai sensor and report the taking aperture to the camera. But it's possible that Z cameras do not support communication of the taking aperture in this direction.

Edited by chulster

The flip side of that is one of the reasons I still don't have a Z camera: it can't tell what aperture a fully mechanical lens is set to—even if it is Ai. I hate not having the taking aperture in EXIF.

Not having a Nikon Z and ZF adapter, I can't check, but doesn't fitting a 'Dandelion' CPU to an AI(d) lens allow the camera to know the working aperture?

Just curious if this is the case. Because a dandelion chip certainly works to give EXIF data with a digital F mount camera.

FWIW. Was amused by the obsession with David Hemmings' use of a Nikon F in 'Blow Up' in that link. Like he was a real photographer and not just an actor using a prop he'd been given!

Edited by rodeo_joe|1

Not having a Nikon Z and ZF adapter, I can't check, but doesn't fitting a 'Dandelion' CPU to an AI(d) lens allow the camera to know the working aperture? Just curious if this is the case. Because a dandelion chip certainly works to give EXIF data with a digital F mount camera.

Joe, I believe a Z camera with FTZ will behave with a Dandelion-equipped lens the same way a D7500, D5600, or other non-Ai-supporting DSLR does: If you let the camera control the aperture, it will "know" and record the taking aperture by virtue of the fact that it, rather than the lens, is controlling the aperture. But if you set the aperture using the aperture ring, since the FTZ has no Ai "follower", the Z camera cannot know what the taking aperture is. And adding a Dandelion chip will not help in this case.

But if you set the aperture using the aperture ring, since the FTZ has no Ai "follower", the Z camera cannot know what the taking aperture is. And adding a Dandelion chip will not help in this case.

I think that's the case with any of Nikon's DSLRs. As soon as you take a chipped AI lens off minimum aperture, you get the 'FEE' error on the top LCD. So you can only use body control of the aperture.

I'm pretty sure there's a menu option to change to aperture-ring control, but I never use it because it would add needless complication to using a chipped lens - including any Non-G AF Nikkor.

I think that's the case with any of Nikon's DSLRs. As soon as you take a chipped AI lens off minimum aperture, you get the 'FEE' error on the top LCD. So you can only use body control of the aperture.

I'm pretty sure there's a menu option to change to aperture-ring control, but I never use it because it would add needless complication to using a chipped lens - including any Non-G AF Nikkor.

The option to use the aperture ring (of an AF lens) is not present on such cameras as the D7500 precisely because they have no Ai follower. Nor does the FTZ. Thus, these cameras don't know what aperture you've set the lens to, if you're using the aperture ring. A Dandelion-equipped manual-focus lens will behave the same as an AF lens with an aperture ring in this regard.

Edited by chulster

The option to use the aperture ring (of an AF lens) is not present on such cameras as the D7500 precisely because they have no Ai follower.

In that case I'll keep my fingers crossed that my D7200 keeps working for a good while longer!

I'm guessing that the D7500 can't operate a 'screwdriver' AF lens either. Whatever happened to Nikon's commitment to backward compatibility?

I'm guessing that the D7500 can't operate a 'screwdriver' AF lens either.

You'd be guessing wrong in that case - the D7500 does have the in-camera AF motor to drive screwdriver-AF lenses.

Whatever happened to Nikon's commitment to backward compatibility?

It got softer and softer over time. Pressure to reduce cost might well have been the main factor.

• Like 1

You'd be guessing wrong in that case - the D7500 does have the in-camera AF motor to drive screwdriver-AF lenses.

Hmmm. But no AI follower - that's just perverse.

Time was when I would have avidly kept abreast of all of Nikon's new cameras. But I can't be bothered these days. Nikon just doesn't seem like 'Nikon' any longer.

Anyhow. Thanks for the info Dieter.

Edited by rodeo_joe|1
  • Like 1

Hmmm. But no AI follower - that's just perverse.

Not really. I believe such a configuration would allow the D7500 to use Nikon's "D" lenses e.g. Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D, and such. Of course it could not easily use AI or AI'ed manual focus lenses.

The D7200 was the last prosumer DX body in the 7000 series.

The later ones were crippled to one card slot and no follower tab to help differentiate it from the Pro D500.

Why (just an inquiry) is having 'only' one card slot such a bad thing?

I have quite some professional photo gear that offers only one storage option (tether to computer or one card). And in the cameras that offer two slots, i think one is redundant (use it to record jpegs, which i never use. Just as some sort of safety net).

Why is having just one slot not professional?

Yup, I guess you don't do much paid work where a corrupted card doesn't just get you no images, it gets you sued. Re-shoot a wedding? Sure, that's what insurance is for, but you're not getting a job locally ever again.

I don't have a dog in this spat, but here's an innocent question. If your livelihood depends on images being captured successfully, doesn't it make sense to have not just a backup card slot, but a whole backup body? Because a card slot isn't the only thing that can malfunction.

I mean, if you're not checking (at least at the beginning of an event) that images are being successfully written to the card, then I can see how it would feel indispensable to have two slots and to use the second slot for redundancy rather than overflow. But if you do check the slot before any important captures, and it works at that time, how common is it that the slot will go bad during the event? Just wondering, not arguing.

• Like 1

doesn't it make sense to have not just a backup card slot, but a whole backup body?

Yup, spot on.

Spare body and twin slot duplicate storage.

It was never really possible in film days, but was accepted. Shit happens.

Now it's accepted that full in-camera back-up is normal......... don't mess.

I don't have a dog in this spat, but here's an innocent question. If your livelihood depends on images being captured successfully, doesn't it make sense to have not just a backup card slot, but a whole backup body? Because a card slot isn't the only thing that can malfunction.

I mean, if you're not checking (at least at the beginning of an event) that images are being successfully written to the card, then I can see how it would feel indispensable to have two slots and to use the second slot for redundancy rather than overflow. But if you do check the slot before any important captures, and it works at that time, how common is it that the slot will go bad during the event? Just wondering, not arguing.

I agree. I have backup for everything.

Yup, I guess you don't do much paid work where a corrupted card doesn't just get you no images, it gets you sued.

Re-shoot a wedding? Sure, that's what insurance is for, but you're not getting a job locally ever again.

I tend to notice when (i.e. not afterwards) things do not work as they should. I have had my fair share of mishaps, but never needed to "re-shoot a wedding" (but then i leave 'shooting' weddings to others).

Failed cards? Once. I sat on a CF card and it didn't like it much. I could get everything off the card, though. So no real failure, i guess? Lucky? Or?

But be that all as it may: thousands and thousands and thousands of images, and never needed to resort to a back up, second card. Again: luck? Or is the risk really not that great?

I'd say the latter. I'd dare to suggest that twin card slots are like go-faster stripes on motor vehicles.

Edited by q.g._de_bakker

Yup, spot on.

Spare body and twin slot duplicate storage.

It was never really possible in film days, but was accepted. *X&$#**X&$#**X&$#**X&$#* happens.

Now it's accepted that full in-camera back-up is normal......... don't mess.

Have you ever seen a MF digital back with two card slots? Unprofessional, crippled gear?

but never needed to "re-shoot a wedding" (but then i leave 'shooting' weddings to others).

Well that's your exact problem isn't it.........?

You don't need to reshoot something you never shoot.. Twin slots aren't for you, that's fine.

But, as to my previous post, I guess that doesn't matter to you 'cos you don't need that PRO feature.

Almost all MF shooters I've met are studio based so fixed to a PC/Mac or an external SSD, so in-body back-up is not relevant.

You aught to know that.

You need to go out more (literally).

Because many MF shooters do too. So that´s where to see all those non-tethered MF backs using cards as storage.