Nikkor-H 28mm and a Step-Up Ring?

funkag

<p>I have a chrome-nosed 28mm from the early 1960's and really like the sharpness and colors that I'm getting from it (had it ai'd by John White for my D610), but the vignetting is driving me a little crazy - I can't even use a thin 52mm polarizer on it without darkening the corners (no hood attached). </p>

<p>Has anyone tried a step-up ring with this lens? I have a 62mm and 77mm polarizer - any experiences with either size? I just don't know if the step-up ring will vignette on its own...</p>

<p>Thanks!<br>

</p>

<p>I just tried a 52 to 67 ring with 67mm Nikon NC filter on my 28/3.5 K/Ai lens (early 1970's model, same optics, but multi-coated and in an all-black barrel). Viewing on a D800, a supposedly 100% view.<br>

There was no vignetting in the corners at f/16. I assume, but cannot be absolutely sure, that your chrome-nose unit will be the same.</p>

<p>Greg, a step-up ring costs, like, $3. Why not just buy one and try it?</p>

<p>Incidentally, Nikon polarising filters of that era were made oversize with the exact purpose of preventing vignetting. The 52mm fitting had a glass diameter of around 62mm, and was effectively just like using an oversize filter on a stepping ring.</p>

<p>The original Nikon 52mm linear pol filter had a 60mm front thread. Nikon sells the <a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/37599-REG/Nikon_518_HN_12_Two_Piece_Lens_Hood.html">Nikon HN-12 Two-Piece Lens Hood (Nikon #518)</a> exclusively for use with this filter.</p>

<p>Henry Posner<br /><strong>B&H Photo-Video</strong></p>

Henry Posner

B&H Photo-Video