Nikkor AF-S DX Micro NIKKOR 40mm f/2.8G Impressions

I finally decided to bite the "buy it" bullet, and bought a used Nikkor AF-S DX Micro NIKKOR 40mm f/2.8G. While it's primary use will be on the copy stand to digitize 35mm, MF, and 4x5 negatives, I understand that it can serve as a solid prime lens for walkabout use.

Does anyone else have one of these, and what are your usage impressions?

"I See Things..."

The FotoFora Community Experience [Link]

A new community for creative photographers.  Come join us!

Don't have that particular lens, but think of the Nikon 55 2.8 macro of film days. Sharp and an excellent walk around and general purpose lens, also for copy work. For the uses you plan, I suspect you have made an excellent purchase. If you plan on outdoor insect, flower, etc. close ups and Macros, based on experience, you will be better served with a longer focal length.
  • Like 1

Sandy, I have fond memories of that lens on a Nikon F with a Photomic N finder. Stellar for both macro and general photography. Ahh, things of youth--even though it belonged to the place I worked...

I have a Nikkor AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II that does a yeoman's job at macro with various extension tubes. But the 40mm is tight and tidy, and adds little weight to the D7100 body. I was using the aforementioned lens for digitizing 35mm, MF, and 4x5 LF negatives--which I have a substantial archive of, and still feel motivated upon occasion to shoot.

Just in is a cheap-assed Neewer 48 macro light setup. Nothing to boast about, and is better in 'always on' light mode than the manual flash mode.

• Like 1

"I See Things..."

The FotoFora Community Experience [Link]

A new community for creative photographers.  Come join us!