Nikkor 80-200mm ED-IF AF-D- vs. Nikkor 80-200mm AF-S-ED.

kevin_leong1

I am an advanced photographer and I am interested in purchasing a

Nikkor 80-200mm AF len. I shoot mainly portrait, vacation shots,

architectural and landscape photography. Photography is just a

hobby. The question regarding the Nikkor 80-200mm ED-IF AF-D- vs.

Nikkor 80-200mm AF-S-ED.

1. Optical performance b/w AF-D and AF-S ED?

2. Telephoto performance b/w AF-D and AF-S ED?

3. Do I really need a "silient wave" lens for portrait, vacation,

architectural and landscape? I cannot justify paying almost double

for a len that have the same opticals. I do not shoot fast moving

subjects, may be in a "blue moon".

Currently I am using the Nikon F100 with 180mm ED lens, 50mm lens

and 24-120mm AF-D lens. If I repeat this question regarding the

Nikkor 80-200mm, please excuse me. Thank you.

AF will be faster on the AFS, but the latest non AFS 80-200 will AF pretty fast on your F100. For your intended uses, there is no point in AFS; you'd want it if you were shooting sports or other action, which it sounds like you're not. The optics should be the same, others correct me if I'm wrong.

My question for you is why you want the lens at all. You almost cover the range with your current setup. 80-200 is quite a useful range, but with a 180 and 80-120 covered by your zoom, it doesnt seem like you really need it. If you're looking for wider apertures in portraits at less than 180, (I'm sure the 24-120 is not that fast at the long end) maybe you should get an 85/1.8 which is cheaper than the 80-200 and a great portrait lens.

No, you don't need the AF-S. The AF 80-200/2.8D N focuses very fast on my F5, should be the same on the F100.

Since you do portraits, I would consider the 105/2 as well. You get nice background blur and it fits well between your existing primes. If you get the zoom, you're likely to end up with a huge set of primes and zooms since they don't mix all that well. The 105 is also less intimidating than the zoom.

There are subtle differences between the versions of the AF 80-200/2.8, but nobody seems to think they're a big deal. The AF-S has been designed to be used with the AF-S teleconverters, which has necessitated some changes in the design. The AF-S is heavier and I would think very hard before buying it for travel. In fact, I just bought a 180/2.8 because I don't want to lug around the 80-200 together with the 300/4 in my backpack when traveling.

This <A HREF="http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg.tcl?msg_id=000nBZ&topic_id=23&topic=photo%2enet">old thread</A> from the "regular" photo.net Forum thoroughly discusses the differences among the various 80-200mm/f2.8 AF Nikkors. Optically, all 3 non-AF-S versions are identical. For many years I had the first AF version whose AF was pretty slow to the point that AF was almost useless on the F4. AF has improved in both the lenses and the bodies since the late 1980's. I currently have the AF-S version which is very fast on the F5 or F100 (anything using the CAM 1300 AF module).

<P>

I too agree that for portrait, vacation, and landscape, fast AF from the AF-S version is unnecessary. However, as KK points out, you can maintain AF with the TC-14E (I tend not to put the 20E on it unless I really have to).

<P>

Personally I don't consider the weight a serious problem, but I travel around the world with a 500mm/f4, 300mm/f4, 80-200 and some 645 camera and lenses. So your mileage may vary.

I'm trying to make the same decision, and I'm leaning towards the non-AFS. Here's what I've found:

(1) Optically, the two lenses use different formulas, but I couldn't find anything saying one is better than the other. I understand the AFS isn't so good pointed into the sun, and I wonder whether the non-AFS would fare better because of its fewer elements.

(2) You can use the new AFS teleconverters and maintain AF only with the AFS. Not an issue for me. When I want a slow zoom with reach, I use the 80-400 VR. The AFS teleconverters are expensive and really only useful for the 300, 400 and 500mm fixed AFS lenses, in my opinion.

(3) The AFS lets you override the camera's AF. A nice feature, but for a 70% increase in cost?

(4) The AFS is a tiny bit faster in focusing, but I decided that, although I shoot moving animals once in a while, the non-AFS is plenty fast for a non-professional such as myself.

(5) The two lenses have different tripod collar designs, but neither design is too hot.

(6) To seal the deal: the AFS is heavier, bulkier and much more expensive.

Let us know how you decide.

Dear Nikon Users,

I wish to thank everyone who responded to my enquiry to the 80-200mm AF-D ED Nikkor lens vs. 80-200mm AF-S ED Nikkor lens. Everybody�s' reply were useful and very constructive in my decision to purchase which type of 80-200mm AF Nikkor lens. Seems that since I do not shoot fast motion photography, I should purchase the 80-200mm AF-D Nikkor lens. My lens equipment as follows:

Nikkor AF 1.8D 50mm

Nikkor AF 24-120mm 1:3.5-5.6 D

Nikkor AF 70-210mm 1:4-5.6 (non-D or G)

Nikkor AF 180mm 1:2.8 ED ( I love this lens)

Nikkor AF 35-105mm 1:3.5-4.5 D

Overall, I am very satisfied with the optic quality of the180mm ED lens, the fast focusing, the weight, construction and the finish material of the lens (powder coat). Thanks to the forums recommendation, most likely I will buy the 80-200mm AF-D ED Nikkor lens and the AF DC - Nikkor 105mm F/2D lens.

Something ironic regarding the 80-200mm AF-D ED Nikkor lens�currently I am expatriate residing in SE Asian and the 80-200mm AF-D ED Nikkor lens is discontinued in SE Asia. I have contacted several Nikon Authorized dealers and the dealers said that this lens is discontinued and the 80-200mm AF-S ED Nikkor lens have replaced the previous 80-200mm lens. I have gone online and saw that this lens is currently sold in the USA market. I would appreciate if someone could confirm / explain the marketing strategic of Nikon for this lens.

Once again, thanks for the professional respond.

I just checked B&H's web site. They currently have both the AF-S and non-AF-S versions of the 80-200mm/f2.8 AF in stock. (The AF-S version was out of stock for a while as its replacement the 70-200mm/f2.8 AF-S VR G was supposed to be available "soon".) I am a bit surprised that the older non-AF-S version is discontinued in Asia. But it should be widely available in the used market as people upgrade to AF-S or VR.

BTW, Kevin, there is a lot of overlap in the range of your lenses. Apparently you love the short telephoto, but after adding the excellent 80-200mm/f2.8, you can probably sell some of your current lenses.