Nikkor 75mm on Zone VI Classic 4x5

ggoodroe

<p>Good afternoon all,</p>

<p>Lack of movements aside...should a Nikkor SW 75mm f/4.5 lens function on a Zone VI Classic 4x5? I found one at a good price, and it's allot faster than my 90mm f/8 Schneider...I know that the Zone VI really can't use recessed lens boards because of the small size of the front standard...and I really don't want to go to the trouble of switching to a bag bellows...</p>

<p>Comments appreciated!</p>

<p>George Goodroe, CFP<br>

St. Petersburg, FL USA<br>

<p>Is that the one they made back in the 80's or the one they branded before that?</p>

<p>I have two ZoneVI 4x5's that they had designed and built (Wisner designed it), one the original model and one the second generation, and use a Rodenstock 75mm without issue. Unless you have a bag bellows, you wont get any movements.</p>

<p>In order to get close enough and to remove the bed from being in your shot you do have to shift things around a bit. Essentially, you have to drop the camera bed--point the camera down--pull the base tilts on both standards back while also raising the lens to center it on the back. The front standard needs to go back further than the front to get the lens nested in there and close enough to focus at infinity (of course, you then have to use the axis tilt on the front axis to get the lens parallel to the back).</p>

<p>Hope that was clear, but you will figure it out pretty quickly, but should have no issue with that lens and that camera.</p>

<p>George, First of all, you are way overestimating the "trouble" of switching to a bag bellows. I use my Zone VI constantly for pro architectural work and always with the bag bellows. It is about a thirty second switch over and quite simple to do......and is so completely worthwhile for both compressing the shorter lenses into the body for proper focusing and for allowing much more movements. I use a 58mm XL for many of my interiors and it can be done with the standard bellows (with difficulty) but is soooo much better and simpler to use with the bag.</p>

<p>Secondly, I've got a copy of the Zone VI catalog that basically contains an illustrated mini tutorial about all movements including the crop bed technique for short lenses so as to avoid having the bed in frame. I'll be glad to copy those pages to you if you'll send me your direct email.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>The 200mm IC of the 75/4.5 SW permits ample movements on a 4x5, potentially limited by the camera.</p>

<p>I use mine on three 4x5 cameras including a Newfane-made Zone VI with bag bellows. It's a great lens.</p>

<p>Installing a bag bellows on the Zone VI is quick and easy; certainly not a problem that would restrict use therof.</p>

<p>- Leigh</p>

<p>The following is from Drew Bedo who answered a PN thread on Zone VI cameras; April 6, 2006. You can read the entire discission under the "Equipment Tab" at the top of this page, Click on Large Format; then Zone VI 4X5 Field Camera. George, do you actually know which Zone VI camera you have? According to the various responses, it can make a difference for the 75mm lens.</p>

<p>"1978: Made by Tachihara for Zone-VI,nickle plated, it had 12' Bellows draw, single stage focusing,Front and rear swing/tilt.<br>

1980: Made by Wisner for Zone-VI, 12 bellows, front and rear swing/tilt with front rise.<br>

1986: Made by Wisner, 16" bellowswith double extension focusing railes. Interchainable bag bellows. Front rise/fall and swing/tilt, rear swing/tilt...no rise/fall.Weight about 5 pounds. Only 150 of these were made.<br>

1990: Made by Picker fro Zone-VI Studio. Features and movements like the Wisner above. Standard material was Mahogany wood. some were made with gold plated fittings. Some were made in Black Walnut and Cherry.Total production for this model was 3000 units.<br>

A complete historical review is found in View Camera Magazine, Jan-Feb 2003, page 34. Good article with sereal number ranges and production figures."</p>

<p>George,</p>

<p>From the photo, it's a post Wisner model; 1990's made from Mahogany. It should have a 16" bellows and was designed to take a bag bellows. If you see a Zone VI bag bellows for sale, make sure it will fit your specific Zone VI camera.</p>

<p>Have fun!</p>