Nikkor 500 mirror filter question

Discussion in 'Classic Manual Cameras' started by philippe_zilliox, Mar 8, 2018.

1. Hi. I finally found this Nikkor to add to my collection of mirror lenses. With some mirror lenses you get a note stating that the neutral filter should be left in place because it is part of the lightpath. Does anyone know if that is also the case with the Nikon ? (It is the older version) Thank you.
  2. Leave it there!
  3. Thanks a lot ! Will do... and I score the manual too. Great !
  4. Just to be clear, the ordinary, every-day filter needs to be clear. "Neutral density " filters are for when there is too much light and you need to cut down the incoming light. :)

If the filter in the lens is not clear you can buy 39mm clear ones on eBay. The as-sold kit with the Reflex-Nikkor 500mm f/8 came with 39mm clear, red, yellow, and 4X ND.

By the way, if your lens came with the lovely leather lens cap that slips off too easily in use, you may be interested to know that the "I can't believe it's not butter" tub lid works well enough to protect the front of the lens from dirt. It even comes in Nikon yellow. The fit is close enough that you don't need to worry about any "margarine of error"
  5. Mine came without the clear UV filter fitted. I was lucky enough to find one in a rummage bin after using the lens for some months.

I fitted the filter, and... I'd like to report that the image quality suddenly took a quantum leap from 'disappointing' to 'excellent'.
    I'd like to..... but I could see absolutely no difference in the indifferent image quality whatsoever.

Fit the filter, or leave it off. Makes absolutely no difference to the lens's (lack of) performance as far as I can see. It may make a smidge of difference to the focus distance, but since the lens focusses past infinity, that's pretty irrelevant also.

Edit: I notice that the optical diagram in the manual shows no filter in the light path. Hmmm, strange that!
  6. Lol! You're treading on a slippery slope, there.
  7. Actually, I still haven't seen the lens yet. I should get it on the 16th. Hopefully the UV filter willmbe there. I don't know about the case but I doubt it will come with it. I'm even wandering about the hood. I always use hoods. Now I read the front filter size is 88mm ??? This is weird. Usually I don't care much if a hood is not there since I do have enough of these, but 88mm ?? I've only ever seen 82, 86 or 95mm... We'll see when it comes. Besides the original hood looks so short to me...
  8. PZ
    The hood on the Nikon 500mm f/8 reflex lens is so short as to be useless.
    It is only 11/16 inch / 18mm long.
    I plan to make a hood extension out of black cardboard or a close fitting plastic pipe (if I can find a short scrap).
  9. BTW, this is what the Reflex-Nikkor manual has to say about the filter:

So non-Nikon filters may or may not do the job properly
  10. Thanks JDM. Hopefully it will be there...