Nikkor 35mm f1.8 AF-S shows DX committment

tri-x1

<p>The new 35mm f1,8 Nikkor AF-S lens which will give the DX cameras a true high speed "normal" lens, pretty much proves Nikon has a committment to the DX format despite the clains from FX buffs that DX is dead. Amazon has the lens (which isn't available for shipping) listed at under $200. I may have to get one of those.</p>

<p>I would kind of like to have this lens to use on the D40 I have, but I already own a 35mm f/2D.</p>

<p>Does anyone else think the price is a little steep, even with the recent jump in pricing? The FX counterpart (50mm f/1.8D) is currently at US $130. I dont' know if making a fast 35mm DX lens still entails the complexity that makes the 35mm f/2D expensive, though.</p>

<p>I think the new lens is a good move on Nikon's part. I suppose the main target is the D40 and D60 user but others may buy one also. When I first became aware of it I kind of thought that it would be about $110.00 since it is a lightweight plastic type lens but I was wrong. </p>

<p>I have never bought into the "DX is Dead" chatter but IMO, this lens is nothing more than a very long overdue lens primarily for D40/60 users who have been so limited in their choices of 'reasonable priced' lenses with built-in motors. Many who buy these cameras learn all too quickly that Nikon's 18-xx zooms are very limiting because of aperture but found the alternative AF lenses usually more expensive than their cameras. It should be a nice lens for all DX users.</p>

<p>As for the price, it probably is about where it should be. When you take into account there are substantial R&D costs for this new lens, the fact it is a wide angle, and it is a metal mount with AF-S, it's price relative to the 50mm f/1.8 isn't that much more. I would expect the build and quality to be somewhat comparable but I'll wait for Bjorn's expert opinion. Personally, I am more curious how it stacks up against the 35/2 on a DX body.</p>

<p>meanwhile, lens prices are rising all over the map...the 70-200 was as low as $1550 a year ago, now almost $1700; the 35/2 went for $300 last year; now its $350; the sb-900 was down to about $400, now it's $430; and the 50/1.8 jumped around 20%, to $129. 35/1.8 price doesnt unreasonable for AF-S prime but let's wait for some reviews...</p>

<p>I think the fact that Nikon has introduced DX lenses in the $600 to $700 range such as the 18-200mm and 16-85mm shows far more commitment to DX than a relatively inexpensive $200 35mm/1.8 DX. The 18-200 is one of Nikon's best selling lens ever. If they suddenly tell their customers that there will be no more new DSLRs to suppor that lens, they will for sure push a lot of them to other brands. I have said that would be the equivalent of suicide.</p>

<p>But somehow there are people who were (and maybe still are) convinced that DX would soon be dead. Just like there are people who believe that they can somehow put a filter on the 14-24mm/f2.8 AF-S. Well, I guess they can believe whatever they choose to do so.</p>

<p>The 35mm/f1.8 DX AF-S is indeed a nice addition. I too wish Nikon had done it a few years earlier.</p>

<p>Ditto, one reason we discourage unfounded rumors here is because we already have credible sources who don't violate Nikon's non-disclosure agreements. In exchange, we benefit from their expertise after they've had a chance to evaluate the equipment.</p>

<p>I don't see any downside to this lens. The price is very reasonable, it fits a niche that's been in continual demand since the DX format was introduced and, for a change, Nikon has a solid opportunity to beat the third party makers at the value game. Even if the lens is only equivalent to the 50/1.8D AF Nikkor, a hunk of plastic with excellent optics, there is still absolutely no downside to this new lens. The vast majority of dSLR buyers will still be in the DX market, not FX; not until an FX equivalent to the D40 in features and price becomes available.</p>

<p>Nikon will stay with the DX lens. Why not. People like it, you can make smaller camera's. It's cheaper to manufacture and allows camera's that are more affordable. I think the system deserves a new lens for the line up just like any other system. The 35mm f1.8 is a perfect choice. It's light, affordable (or not) and a good focal range for DX users that would like a nice low light prime. It's going to be very popular. I might buy one myself if it does not vignette with filters and it's not made in China..The reviews will tell us soon how it works out.</p>

<p>The 35mm/f1.8 AF-S DX has a metal mount. I have seen images of the rear side of that lens, and this Nikon page also clearly specifies the mount type: <a href="http://imaging.nikon.com/products/imaging/lineup/lens/af/dx/af-s_dx_35mmf_18g/index.htm">http://imaging.nikon.com/products/imaging/lineup/lens/af/dx/af-s_dx_35mmf_18g/index.htm</a></p>

<p>It is a simple optical design and most likely made in Thailand or China for its production models. Therefore Nikon can sell it at an affordable price.</p>

<p>The site Shun quotes above has MTF charts for this new lens and also for the 35 mm f/2 AF as a comparison:-<br>

http://imaging.nikon.com/products/imaging/lineup/lens/af/dx/af-s_dx_35mmf_18g/index.htm<br>

and<br>

http://imaging.nikon.com/products/imaging/lineup/lens/af/wideangle/af_35mmf_2d/index.htm<br>

These are full aperture charts. For DX the new lens looks much better and it's less expensive too isn't it?<br>

Shame there doesn't appear to be a DOF scale or even a distance scale.</p>