Nikkor 35-135 AF lens 3.5-5.6 (something like that)

Discussion in 'Nikon' started by noli_tan, Jan 12, 2009.

1. Anyone here with experience on this old lens ? i have this lens on my N8008 before.
    I cant seem to find much reviews on it.
    What are your thoughts on using this on the D700 to start out with ?
    thanks again.

2. I have one, and while it's certainly not the best lens Nikon ever made, it's not bad. I tried it on my D300 and it functions fine. I think it would be a decent starter for the d700.

3. I had one and used it with my D100. It's a decent lens, but doesn't live up to the current standards of sharpness. After-all, it's a 4:1 zoom ratio. Still it represent a lot of versatility at a great price. It's pretty hefty and the push-pull operation is a throw-back. The macro feature works only at the 35mm end, and in MF only as well. Still, I remember the macro providing good performance.
    I'd say give a try, you can always sell it to get your $$$ back.

4. Good marco function. It's fairly hefty but I got decent results with it.

5. I have the lens also and would echo Michael Chang's comments. It's a great lens and I have never had any problems with it's sharpness.

6. Noli
    Why put a $40.00 lens on a $3000 camera it makes no sense, I have one of these lenses it's okay but the color rendition and sharpness are inferior by far to my 17-55 lens,, surely if budget is an issue a D300 with a 17-55mm would be a better bet.
    Steve

7. If you look at the images of Micheal Chang, it does not have a very nice Bokeh. There are other choices. I recommend a modern Nikon lens. If you are on a budget, the 18-105 VR, which will be just as good.

8. The 18-105 is a DX lens. In a similar vein, the more recent 28-105mm/f3.5-4.5D-AF Nikkor is a rather excellent FX lens that can be found at modest prices in the used market.

9. i second dan brown's suggestion, or the 28-70/3.5-4.5 -- which can also be obtained for little $$$. you do not have to spend a fortune to get lenses with good IQ.

10. "If you are on a budget..." - then you don't buy more stuff!
    I would think that the lens to start with is the one that's already bought & paid for. If it meets your needs, then you've got more money to go someplace interesting. No need to buy a new lens if you haven't given the one you have a chance to prove itself.

11. I missed the window for editing my response, but I had the impression that the OP already owned the 35-135mm lens. If that's not the case, then by all means explore everyone's suggestions.

12. Should be good starter with D700. Gives me sharp results on my d100 which has similar pixel density as d700.

13. I have this lens - have used it on D70s/D80. The range is great for candid street - in fact quite often I prefer it to the 18-70 and 28-105 which I also have as I have more reach without changing lenses. Here is the pbase link to some images:
    http://www.pbase.com/cameras/nikon/35_135_35_45_af
    Except for the train shots in the above file, most of the images are mine as it appears very few people are using this lens.
    Advantages - excellent construction, good range, very low price
    Disadvantages - less sharp than 18-70 and 28-105 when viewed at pixel-peeping level, slow AF, somewhat subdued contrast and saturation (fix in Photoshop))

14. well, this is just an old lens that i have & i can just use it with the D700.
    Off course, this won't be the last lens I'll acquire. This is just "make do for the meantime".
    Eventually, I would want the 14-24 f2.8 and the 24-70 f2.8
    thanks again.

15. a buddy overseas sent me some of his shots on his 35-135 which I also own.
    He used this on a D90 camera.
    Check it out.

16. Here is one of the shots taken w/ his 35-135 lens
    http://i550.photobucket.com/albums/ii430/nolitan777/DSC_0030.jpg