Nikkor 28mm f2.8 AIS wobble

Analog Amateur

Hi there! I have a question concerning Nikkor lenses. I have a Nikkor 28mm f2.8 AIS which I really adore and use in my astro and landscape photography. But an issue with this lens has been riddling my mind. Unlike my 50mm f1.4 AIS, my 28mm wobbles and it doesn't feel as snug fitted as my 50. While the 50mm makes no sound when I shake it or use the focusing ring, 28mm sounds like it's focusing barrel just moves inside the outer barrel of the lens when I shake it. I just noticed it after an accident when my camera with the lens on it fell down with the tripod attached to it from 40 cm high. The part which contacted the floor was the front element of the lens with hood on it. I don't really know if this ''wobble'' started after the accident or not but I sure became much more aware of this situation. So far there has been no problem in the pictures which I shot with this lens, as far as I can tell. But I couldn't try to do any astrophotography, mainly startrails, in last couple of months. Do you have this ''wobble'' in your 28mm AIS lenses? Or should I just send mine to repair?

Just dug out my undamaged Nikkor H 28 3.5 (works perfectly) there is a slight rattle when I shake it. Suggest you run some performance tests before you send it off -- you may be lucky.

Because I only have a film body I can't do the performance test very easily but I will try to find one just for test. Thanks for the recommendation.

Ar

I have that 28 f2.8 AIS along with several other AIS's. All of mine when shaken (even violently) make ZERO noise. Seems you may have sheared or otherwise broken something in the lens. That means it is time for evaluation and repair.

Are you sure that it doesn't make any noise when you hold it in the silver ring? The rattle / wobble that I am discribing happens when I hold it in the silver ring and give it a shake. And also I found that when use the focus ring and change the focus direction in opposite way hear another sound. It sounds like the inner part of the lens is trying to catch up to the motion in the opposite way. I am now worried about the preciseness of the lens :(