Nikkor 18mm F/3.5 AIS

Vincent Peri

Like the greedy pig I am, I just bought a Nikkor 18 f/3.5 AIS lens on ebay. What the heck, I already had the HK-9 lens hood for the lens :p

Decades ago, I had one for a short time, but it was too close to my 20 f/2.8 and I sold it. Now, even though I have a 20 2.8 lens, I wanted to compare the 18's rectilinear qualities to the 20's.

I'm hoping it will arrive by Saturday so I can put it through its paces.

I'm just curious as to whether anyone else here has an 18mm 3.5 lens and how do you like it?

Thanks for any comments.

I just bought a Nikkor 18 f/3.5 AIS lens on ebay. What the heck, I already had the HK-9 lens hood for the lens :p

See, this is where you're more clever than some of us: having a practical reason, any slight excuse, wipes away all the guilt from the pleasure! :)

So I guess the lesson here is, I need to buy some more hoods? ;)

Edited by orsetto
  • Like 5

See, this is where you're more clever than some of us: having a reason, any slight excuse, wipes away all the guilt from the pleasure! :)

So I guess the lesson here is, I need to buy some more hoods? ;)

Hmm... I have an HS-10

hood lying around some-

where... what lens do I

need to buy for it...???

http://bayouline.com/o2.gif

• Like 1

My primary focal length for 25 of 35 years of photography has been 17mm. It was displaced for 5 years with a Nìkon 14/2.8. I owned the 20/3.5 UD for a time as well. I still use the 8/2.8 on occasion.

While Bjorn Rorslett certainly seems to like the 20/2.8 more than the 18/3.5 the extra 2mm is extremely significant.

It certainly will be challenging to compose with an 18mm, but when you do it effectively it is extremely satisfying. Be sure to post some comparisons when you get a chance.

Now I am off to find a case for the 13/5.6, to give me a good excuse...though that will be all that I could afford!

• Like 1

I used to check the obits from my home town paper using the "life is short" reasoning for a new purchase.

Dark, dude. Dark. :eek:;)

A nice quality of the 18mm f/3.5 is its surprisingly low edge distortion: used carefully, you can get away with murder compared to many other ultra-wides. I haven't seen the dealbreaker vignetting Bjorn Rorslett complains of, but sample variation is always a possibility. The front barrel with 72mm filter mount is borderline too small for the optical coverage, which can lead to trouble for those who rely heavily on filters and hoods (perhaps this is what annoyed Rorslett).

18mm was too wide for me to make good use of, 20mm is my limit (and even that I'm not great with). But its a nifty, compact lens for anyone with a nose for suitable subjects and the skills to make it sing. Compared to the 20mm Nikkors, it fuses the best qualities of the f/3.5 AIS and f/4 K-Pre-AI, adding lower distortion and wider impact.

Edited by orsetto

The 18mm f/3.5 is one of my favorites. It makes the lowest edge distortion I have ever seen. It uses standard front filters, offering plenty of imaging options. The next wider lens is the 15mm, but it's big, flares more, not as sharp, and offers limited filtering options, in comparison.

Aw nuts! Just out of curiosity, I looked on ebay, and sure enough, I found an 85 f/2 in great condition for a fantastic price. I am so gonna regret this, especially when the wife finds out....:eek:

It's a terrible, terrible addiction, for which the only cures are bankruptcy and death.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
The 18mm f/3.5 is one of my favorites. It makes the lowest edge distortion I have ever seen. It uses standard front filters, offering plenty of imaging options. The next wider lens is the 15mm, but it's big, flares more, not as sharp, and offers limited filtering options, in comparison.

I agree about the predisposition to ghost with a bright light in the frame and its size, but having had both for a number of years and both used in architectural photography, it's level of sharpness is right on par with the 18mm f/3.5 AIS.

Aw nuts! Just out of curiosity, I looked on ebay, and sure enough, I found an 85 f/2 in great condition for a fantastic price. I am so gonna regret this, especially when the wife finds out....:eek:

A long time ago, I thought about getting an AI 85/2.0, but never did.

And I don't have a lens hood for one, either.

Actually, I am not very good at using lens hoods, even when I should.

Well, sometimes I will shade the lens with my hand when needed.

-- glen