Nikkor 14-24 lens care (and especially cleaning) tips?

jyoungman

<p>I have a bunch of lenses with UV or protective filters on them. (I read the other week about somebody who bought a Nokt-Nikkor in a bunch of other lenses at a bargain price because the front element was broken, only to find it was just a cracked protective filter...). Normally, I clean the protective filters occasionally with a lenspen.<br>

Anyway, I just bought a Nikkor 14-24. Clearly a protective filter is a non-option. Banging it into things is clearly a no-no (and especially a risk with a wide-angle lens). But apart from handling it carefully, how should I look after it?<br>

Specifically, how should I clean the front element? I'm pretty happy to use the lenspen on it, it's great for dust and fingerprints. Water spots give me pause, though. Water droplets leave behind tiny mineral deposits which of course one cannot simply blow or brush off. I'd be concerned that using the other end of the lenspen would grind the fine mineral particles against the glass surface. Is my concern reasonable? What other cleaning options should I consider?<br>

A few years ago I used to use a combination of a blower brush and a lens tissue with lens cleaner. However, I always found that after I'd used the lens tissue the lens still seemed to have a smear on it. That's not a common problem with the lenspen.<br>

Any other tips for best care of this lens? Well apart from keeping it locked away and not using it, that would be overprotective :)</p>

<p>Usually in the Nikon manual they recommend a very soft piece of cotton cloth with some alchohol as a cleaner. I don't know if that's the case with your lens. If your lens is free from grime or any grit but has smudges, you can clean them right off with a good huff of breath and a piece of caefully picked soft pure chamois. I buy the best pure virgin chamois I can find, usually at an auto parts store. I then carefully inspect it at home for any rough spots and then cut it into work pieces. I started using this years ago when I did industrial photography and my lense were always dirty. I have had all kinds of fine expensive lenses over the years, I don't use filters, and this i how I always clean them. None of my lenses have any scrathes or damage and they've been cleaned many times. Also there i no need to worry about the oil some complain about in the chamois, it's a none issue and soon dries up. Overall, no need to be overly concerned with all this, just use your lens and clean it carefully and it will be fine. I have a Hasselblad lens I must have cleaned a few hundred times and it is spotless.</p>

<p>I like James' method.<br>

I have the same lens, and others with out filters. Waterspots are best cleaned with some Eclipse and a microfiber cloth. Otherwise, use a blower to keep dust off and a microfiber cloth with your breath. Lens pen is not a bad option for small spots.<br>

Don't clean often, just when needed.<br>

Anthony</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Just use normal lens cleaning procedures; If it's greasy you'll probably have to use an alcohol type cleaner(Eclipse, Rosco, Panchro, 91% Isopropyl from the drug store, etc.)to eliminate smears. Personally I prefer disposable tissue to reusable cloths, in order to assure that I'm not going to grind some invisible sand/grit particles from the cloth onto the lens. </p>

<p>1) Clean as little as possible. Even a fairly gross amount of crud on a lens will not noticeably degrade performance in most cases. Blow most dust particles off very carefully with compressed air. Practice with a junk lens or eyeglasses until you get the technique down. It's not hard, and compressed air is completely safe if done carefully.<br>

2) If you must physically clean the lens element, use micro fibre wipes and very pure denatured alcohol. Again, practice first on something worthless, and inspect your work in bright sunlight. You can get pure denatured alcohol at Home Depot or paint stores in small cans. Keep in mind that it will absorb atmospheric moisture if the can is left open, leading to streaks. It's cheap; replace the can once or twice a year.<br>

Wash your hands carefully with soap and water before starting. The alcohol will instantly draw grease from your fingers into the wipe.<br>

I have done field cleaning in pretty dirty sites, with perfect results. As with all things, practice, practice, practice.</p>