Nikkor 135 f2.8 AIS comments anyone?

robert_ades1

I searched the archives and couldn't find much on this lens.

I already have an F100 with the 85 f/1.8 AF-D, and am looking for a

longer lens for portrait use to compliment the 85mm. From the

standpoint of bokeh and contrast, how does the 135 f/2.8 stackup

against the 105 f/2.5?

Thanks in advance.

I have all the three lenses you mentioned. The 135/2.8 Ais compares very favorably with the legend 105/2.5 Ais in terms of sharpness, contrast and color rendition. Your choice shall be based on the focal length you prefered. Also the price between these two is almost the same. Over to you ...

A word of caution when buying a 135 f2.8.The rubber ring models have multi coatings that are easily damaged by cleaning,such to the point that almost all the used ones have damaged coatings!Part of the trouble is Kodak lens cleaner solution,this tends to ring up & stain multi coats.The tyro's use their lens tissue like sand paper in an attempt to remove these rings,meanwhile the rings stay,the coating mars!

Nice lens. The 135mm focal length was the prime(bad pun)casualty of the 70-210/80-200 zoom craze. It's probably about the longest short tele that can be reliably hand-held. They work especially well for candids when a little working distance is needed. Great for pulling detail out of a crowded scene. Shot at or near 2.8, it can tame an otherwise distracting background for emphasis on the chosen subject.Though the 105/2.5 has held its price, I see 135/2.8s in better shape for a good deal less.Thanks to its 2.8 max aperture, it's not as versatile as the 85/1.8 for available light work. Light and compact, too. Worth a look if condition and price seem right.