nikkor 105mm f2.5 ais...hood loose?

blake_abbott

I have the earlier 1974 pre-AI version with the factory kit AI ring, so I have the removable metal lens hood. I've never used the AIS version of this lens. How loose is loose? I would imagine that a little play would be normal. Check the lens for signs of any impact damage and feel the focus as you focus in and out slowly. If there is any looseness and tightness as you focus, the lens could have been dropped and "egged" as it were. Does it perform well corner to corner otherwise? That is one of the hallmarks of this lens, superb corner to corner sharpness.

Dave

I've got one of the AI-S versions.

When fully extended, the hood should fall into a detent and stay in position nicely. It's not exactly a "snap" feeling when it does this, but you will feel it. You can wiggle it with your fingers, but if you let go, it should stay out straight and proud and true if you tilt the lens up or down.

Sorry, I don't have a clue on how to adjust it.

The lens works fine and has good corner to corner sharpness. I don't think it has been damaged in any way. <p>

When fully extended, there is just too much play for the lens hood to remain level with the lens barrel. It "droops" about 1/16". <p>

I've tried to figure out how this hood is attached so maybe I could adjust it, but haven't been able to do so. <p>

Thanks for your replies.<div>00JIM7-34151684.jpg.73ee9aab55e9cbe67df90f071f5f2c82.jpg</div>

Several Nikkors with sliding hoods have this problem (for example, 105/1.8, 180/2.8 AF, 300/2.8 AIS, 300/4.5 EDIF). The quick-and-dirty solution is simply to use a rubber band around the lens that you push up against the hood so it stays in position. Alternatively, you can put a small locking screw into the hood (I did this on my 300/2.8 & 4.5 Nikkors).