Nikkor 105/2.5 AIS instruction manual

DigitriX

I am looking for the instruction manual for this lens. I am particularly interested in the 'Depth of Field' chart (in meters).

I know that the Generic DOF calculators online are pretty close, but I would really like to get the 'official' numbers. 🙂

If anyone has the manual, can you please reply.

Regards

<p>You probably already know this, but if you look at the lens you'll see coloured lines marked on the silvery ring between the aperture and focus rings. Those colours correspond to the coloured aperture numbers on the aperture ring and indicate the "official" depth of field limits for those apertures.<br>

<br />Alternatively, you can stop down the lens to the aperture you intend to use and see for yourself what will be in focus.</p>

<p>Hi Gary,<br>

You are right. There are manuals here and there, but I don't think it's worthwhile to give at least $10 for such kind of information I am looking for and waiting couple of weeks for it to arrive. :)</p>

<p>"Getting DOF down to the centimetre:"</p>

<p>The easiest way is to change the focus screen to one that has a small split image. Its called a K screen if I recall. <br>

Apart from that, the only way is to stop down and check visually. If you use glasses adjust the viewfinder diopter before you start. Without doing that you won't achieve focus reliably.</p>

<p>Thanks a lot for the DOF chart for AiS, Michael! :)<br />As I suspected, the data is the same as the one for the pre-AI version.<br />BTW, I noticed that the far point when focused at 15m@f/22 is 523.4 meters. Is this a typo? :)<br />Should't be infinity at that point?<br /><br />Francisco, I get your point. :) It's just that this is how they call these leaflets with the specs. Anyways, you are totally right.</p>

<p>Francisco, how would a split image screen help determine depth-of-field? And how could you possibly judge distances by eye down to the nearest centimetre, unaided and with monocular vision through the viewfinder? In any case, no modern screen shows true depth of field; they're all designed for brightness, not to accurately show DOF.</p>

<p>For very critical work, I always found that it worked better to "pretend" that I was one stop less than actual when using the DOF lines on the lens. I know that there is a circle of confusion definition of in focus that never meant as much to me as just being sure that what I wanted in focus actually was.</p>