NIK Collection changes

I recently lost my mind and built a completely new workstation computer. After almost 8 years, I figured it was time--and spec'ed out a wicked scary i9 with 64GB RAM and an Nvidia 1650KO graphics card. The speed in Photoshop is astounding, and video transcoding is done in a flash. Being that it was a new box, Adobe CC forced me to load the latest PS, something I had resisted for a year because I am always afraid that they are going to dump the legacy Export function. Anyway...

This got me to looking at my NIK Collection plugin. I originally bought this in 2012and soon afterward it was acquired by Google. Surprisingly, I got a refund! Since then, I think that I downloaded the set once from Google when I could not find the original download. There were no changes I could see. I had heard rumblings some time back that DxO was buying it--and a bunch of doomsaying was to be had in the forums.

I just took a look. Sadly, there is no upgrade path from the older pre-DxO versions, and the new package sucks $150 out of one's bank account. As far as I can tell, only two things have really changed--a new GUI for the preset groups--and a perspective tool that does not look a whole bunch more useful than the Guided option found in Adobe Camera Raw.

So, opinions, please! Is it worth the purchase of the 3.3 version, or the gain so small that the old Google install will be great until something major happens with the collection?

"I See Things..."

The FotoFora Community Experience [Link]

A new community for creative photographers.  Come join us!

I use Nik as a short cut for pp for internet images. I have just completed the trial period with DXO. The only advantages I found outwardly are... integration and compatibility with current PS&Lr, available support from DXO and providing my financial support for further developments.

I never experienced instability with the free version.

I don't use it enough to be concerned with not continuing to use the free version. It is more cumbersome now but not an issue for me. Although I will use it less.

n e y e

Panic is over. If you want to download the old free version, I suggest you go here and start the process. I found this at DXO's website:

Nik Collection 2012 - Nik Collection by DxO

I am using NIK collection 3 and find it quite useful. For me it does have enough improvements over the older free version. If you are very good at Photoshop then you might not need it. I really like using Control Points that are in most if not all of the plugins. And DXO PL4 Elite edition has Control Points in it too. It is now my main RAW processor.

Nik Collection 3.3 - 25th anniversary - 25 new presets

Go to this link to see all of the webinars on NIK. There is also an expensive list of webinars for DXO PL.

Webinars - Nik Collection dy DxO

And here:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyKQBOfgSXNPG9HJhTAsKzQ?reload=9

In PS after you have accessed the NIK plugins you can brush them in as layers to your PS images.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...