Nighttime near the SoCal Coast

nadopix

I like the sunsets that you can see anywhere from Palos Verdes to Will Rogers State Beach as you look west to Point Dume and the Republic of Malibu. The sunsets are specially dramatic when there is a fire in the Santa Monica mountains.

/bing

Tim, I pretty much agree with the above suggestions. Short of driving up along the central California coast (e.g., see particularly the work of fellow PNer Kurt Nielson), avoiding light pollution along the southern California coastline takes some work. As you are in the Marine Corps, what about getting onto some of the beaches on Pendleton? Look at the state beaches from Malibu to Point Mugu (particularly Point Mugu State Park and Beach). Good luck, Amigo; and have fun with the MF this weekend. Cheers! Chris

Tim. thank you for and congratulations on your Marine Corps service. I am a retired Navy Master-Chief (E-9)

Photographer's Mate.

I'd like to invite you to join the Northern San Diego Photographer's Group. We have lots of shoots going on all the

time and also have meetings in which we discuss photography. The next shoots are at the Wild Animal Park on

June 27th (members often have guest tickets available) and the Scottish Highland Games in Vista on June 28th.

Both these shoots should be lots of fun and, by the way, there are also usually female members attending. There is

also a photo shoot at Petco Park on the 28th.

http://photo.meetup.com/208/

There is never any fee for joining the shoots except for fees imposed by the venues at which we are shooting. The

group is a great way for finding about any new and/or interesting photo opportunities in the San Diego County area.

Now to address your question. I think that the general vicinity of La Jolla is a nice place to shoot I also like the

Mission and San Diego Bays. There is a wonderful spot to shoot across San Diego Bay from Point Loma which

provides a wonderful Vista of the S.D. Skyline with the Shelter Island boat moorage in the foreground. It is best shot

in late afternoon and evening.

Right now, the San Diego County Fair in Del Mar has some great photo seminars (free except for the cost to enter

the Fair).

http://photo.meetup.com/208/messages/boards/thread/4658573

A great guide for San Diego County Photography is PhotoSecrets San Diego by Andrew Hudson. Hudson's book is

absolutely terrific. Here is his web site which also provides lots of great photo tips, but you can get the book at a

better price through Amazon.com

http://www.photosecrets.com/

http://www.amazon.com/PhotoSecrets-San-Diego-Second-Photographers/dp/1930495110/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?

ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1214000273&sr=8-1

There are lots of wonderful night shots in and around the City of San Diego.

The image I want to obtain someday is of Qualcomm Stadium during the fireworks at a night San Diego Chargers

game. I want to find a place to shoot if from the ridge along the south side of Mission Valley.

Anyway, join the group if you want to and best of luck in the Corps.

When you say "night shots," what is it you are thinking of as I think you've gotten several different sorts of answers. Coastal land/seascapes? Sunsets? Or night sky shots?

I've seen some nice night shots around Huntington Beach, many incorporating the pier. The right time of year you can catch the sun setting and Catalina Island to gether or even setting behind the island.

As is pretty obvious now, it's terribly hot in the inland and especially desert regions, but going inland into the mountains or deserts can get some skies with a lot less urban light spill over.