Night baseball shooting issue-Help

cordek

<p>Im shooting baseball at all time and last night, the combination of darkness and the deep fire couds of southern Oregon game me fits in shooting action.</p>

<p>I set the speed and f/stop ratios as low/high as I could, but that didn't work without blurring. I ran the ISO all the way up to 4000 with no luck. I feel I am missing something, so a little help work work.</p>

<p>Shooting 5d mk2/70-200 IS 2.8 Canon</p>

<p>Thanks</p>

<p>Night lighting can vary, and even a well-lit pro stadium can be a challenge. College or high school can be worse. A little blur is OK, as long as the face is sharp. The fastest action is hard to capture in poor light, look for moments where the movement is slower, but there is still anticipation of action. You can also try panning with a high frame rate and hope to get something interesting.</p><div>00brqe-541617684.jpg.4ecd0e54bdfc03f726eee7b9f2358773.jpg</div>

<p>Was this a different stadium from where you normally shoot? Was there any lighting at all?<br />Once the sun goes down, all you've got is the stadium lighting, so I'm not sure what "the combination of darkness and the deep fire couds of southern Oregon" have to do with anything. Are you talking about an unlighted field at twilight rather than a night game?<br /><br />I haven't shot night sports in a long time but even the high school football fields I was on were usually at least 1/125 at f/4 at ISO 400 (this was back in film days).</p>

• 3 weeks later...

<p>as Brian said - go to manual. Once it is dark and only light source are field lights set exposure to get as decent an exposure aw possible. <br>

Is the camera/lens able to focus fast enough? If not, you may have to get used to some manual focusing. </p>