Nigerian Order With South African Connections?

acearle

Hi, has anyone else gotten an email from a buyer in Nigeria with South

African connections? I'm a little concerned about this order for

several reasons, one is the size (240 prints, requested the largest

size) for a country with a per-capita GDP of 1/2 of Haiti's (Haiti

US$1600, Nigeria US$800). I did some research as I've gotten dozens of

the Nigeria Scam emails (where you are purportedly to help them

launder lost plunder from a dead king or president) and discovered

that Nigeria is a hotbed for credit card fraud and forged cashier's

checks. I'm suddenly (for some odd reason ;-) ) less than enthusiastic

about this order. Did anyone else get this email? Has anyone actually

done BUSINESS with Nigeria--successfully?

I'd just say that with deep regret due to the awful and rampant internet scamming by fellow Nigerian countryman, (along with numerous other African Nations) I have a set policy not to conduct business in these areas in any over the internet transactions. Perhaps you would consider having an agent in South Africa broker this transaction for you.<br>

<br>

- HE wants to buy your photos - so he can tell you he will wire the money directy to your account - for which you have to give him your account number and routing info.<br>

<br>

uuuhhh. Duh. - No Thanks.<br>

<br>

Actually, I wouldn't even reply.<br>

<br>

More actually, I have my spam filters set so that anything with NIGERIA goes right into the trash. Of course, I always look in the trash can be for dumping, as a textbook company could well want photos.<br>

<br>

Nigerian SPAM Mails in 3 years = 200+<br>

Nigeria Photo Request in 3 years = 2<br>

<br>

Gary Crabbe<br>

<a href="http://www.enlightphoto.com">Enlightened Images</A>

Lol, yeah...I'm thinking about setting the filters the same way. As far as the wiring the money TO an account, that wouldn't be a real problem. Opening a single account for a single inbound transaction is standard business procedure here, but with the 419 scams...I had an online business way back in the stone age, and at THAT time it was the Eastern European orders you had to watch carefully...had 3 fraudulent ones, but I used TwoEyes fraud detection (my own two eyes and a brain) and cancelled all three before shipping the gold (literally in this case, it was a custom jewelry business).

I would not disagree with anything that's been said but just on the off (read one in a thousand-) chance that it is genuine then I would make it clear up front that nothing can be shipped until cleared funds are in your account and if they can mange that then it's a "go". However, "cleared" has to be really "cleared" and not just acknowledged by the bank and capable of being bounced.

I mean, supposing it was artwork for a 200+ room new hotel fitting out project? That would be legitimate and would presumably have funding available.

The time to back off is when/if they begin talking about over-payment and you sending THEM funds....

To me it's just like selling on Ebay - pretty much water-tight provided payment is received in advance.

Lately I have been getting the scam emails that have previously come from Nigeria, from South Africa. They are from a wonderful pious man who only wants to give me money so that he can go into seminary school or something like that, the millions he needs to get hold of isn't for him, its for his mother and sisters. Isn't that sweet? Just taking care of his family!!! It sounds like your guy is just after your bank account information, even the suggestion of opening a special account just for one transaction is not something I would consider as the bank may take money out of your other accounts to cover losses, you'd probably get it back long term, but not worth the hassle.

Hmmm, after a weekend of thinking about it (and talking to my bidness banker), I think I'm just gonna ignore this one. Although there are ways to avoid being scammed, it just isn't worth the time considering the 90% probability that this order is bogus. I was kinda HOPING someone would have had some GOOD experiences with Nigeria, but it looks like there aren't any (talked to a couple of European organizations specializing in the Nigerian 419 scams, they said it looked like it was shaping up to be a variation on the 419 Bank Draft scam).

Stefano, I checked 'em out, there was nothing to check out. When I basically said that there were four payment options, credit card, direct wire transfer, LC (Letter of Credit, very secure), or cashier's check with me waiting for shipment, the "buyer" suddenly disappeared (no response). It turns out that the name used was quite unique, the only results on a web search turned up a Brazillian Miss World. If the money shows up, I will definitely print and ship. A South African I know said it definitely smelled fishy, she's been to Nigeria and has very serious doubts...