Nicolas Photographic, London, bad experiences?

martin_reekie

Nicolas Photographic, 15 Camden High Street, London. Has anyone used

these people and had a similar story? A few years ago I had a poor

experience in buying a back for my Rollei 3003. Foolishly I�ve just

tried them again to purchase a lens for my SL66. Basically I paid way

over the odds for a lens that isn�t HFT and isn�t even E- in quality,

the price just about justifies a mint HFT. They don�t rate their

second hand equipment and seem happy to charge you whatever they

think you�ll pay. I�ve been unable to contact them (probably due to

the holidays).

I've been in two or three times but never bought anything as their prices are a little optimistic, to say the least. That said, they do seem to get their hands on stuff that no one else has. I'd certainly hold them to their return guarantee if you're dissatisfied.

Send/take the lens back and get a refund if you aren't satisfied. I have done this in the past with Ffordes (very rapid refund, by return post) and also with some other U.K. dealers with less rapid, but eventually positive results. I have never had a dealer refuse a refund within their stated approval period.

Let us know how you get on. Good luck with this.

I have never used this company but I have bought plenty of mail order equipment from other companies (some mentioned above). In the UK there is a growing trend for mail order second hand shops to offer a 14 day money back garauntee. I understand that this is backed-up by UK consumer law which states the need for a period for the purchaser to view the equipment which was purchased without seeing the equipment first. You don't need an excuse to return the lens during this 14 day period.

I saw their ad in AP and went along to check them out at first hand. I asked to see a lens as advertised to be told it was 'at the warehouse' but what about 'this instead'. When I commented that the glass of the offered lens was dusty it got wiped on the end of the shopkeeper's tie and handed back for my approval with the words 'Make me an offer'. I left. I don't like the way they do business and the way they look after their stock.

I had a similar experience to Colin. I went to have a look at a I

had a similar experience to Colin. I went to have a look at a

Contax 85mm 1.4 of which they had several advertised to be told

it was at the �warehouse� and the a colleague would bring it to

the shop in half an hour. When I returned to the shop the

assistant told me all the 85�s had been sold and the colleague

was instead bringing a 135mm 2.8. This makes me wonder if

they actually have the rare and exotic gear they advertise weekly

in AP in stock, and I would be very wary of doing business with

them. I would certainly return the lens if not as described.

• 2 weeks later...

Final note! The lens is back in my possession. To cut a very long story short, I failed to comply with Nicolas�s requirement for the equipment to be returned within 7 days. The cost and hassle in trying to get my money back would be excessive with little or no chance of an acceptable result. At the end of the day the lens is optically acceptable and aesthetically reasonable.

They sent an exceptionally long letter, apparently copied to my credit card company and the photo magazine where the advert had originally appeared. They came out with a load of inaccuracies, for example the lens was on commission (which at no time they told me and legally is irrelevant as my contract was with them), they�d paid the person so couldn�t reimburse me in any case. The lens had been modified for me hence the cost � this I was not told! They had avenues covered that I hadn�t even thought of, which goes to show they�ve been in this situation many times. Wonder why?

Companies like Ffordes describe the item well, you know the price is acceptable. The item arrives well packed and on opening you find the condition to be even better than you thought � result one happy client. With Nicolas critical information is omitted (economical with the truth), the condition is not in the advert; the item arrives in a disintegrating shoebox. Once you�ve satisfied yourself that there has been no damage in posting you see the item isn�t as good as you thought it would be � result, my experience on two times out of two. My advice � avoid them!

• 2 years later...
I've had at least one bad experience at Nicolas. I part exchanged a Mamyia SV pro meter prism (mint) for a higher model which he didn't have in stock (he earlier said he did) but promised he would have one within a couple of days. He told me there was one on the way as we spoke. Days turned to weeks, and during that time he gave me nothing but excuses and lies. In the end I asked him to return my original meter prism. He then informed me that it had been sold! He offered me a cheque for about ᆪ50. I had no choice but to take it. He'll never see me again.

• 7 months later...

Nicolas photographic has been in many peoples bad books for many years. The company was so bad that it was banned from advertising in the photographic press for quite some time amateur Photographer etc.I notice they have accepted their ads again but people should remind AP that the circumstances have not changed

I too fell foul of 'Nicolas many yaers ago and have never been tempted to go back. One wonders how the firm has so much stock and how it manages to make a living ? any investigators out there ??? KFB BBC radio 4 ?

• 9 months later...