nickel ring

Discussion in 'Leica and Rangefinders' started by jean_marie_dederen, Jun 6, 2013.

1. Can't find any reference to the use of this ring. Seems to fit on a36 sized lenses. I have one marked 1:2.5; this one says 1:3.5: magnification ratios or marking use for elmar 3,5 and hektor 2,5?
    00biRb-540615884.JPG

2. Bill Snell

Bill Snell Bill Snell

Hi, It is an "Adjustable diaphragm ring" for use with the Elmar 3.5 when used on an enlarger. It enables changing the f stops from the side which is a lot easier than changing on the lens itself. There was also one for the f2.5 Hektor. Apparently it could also be used on the camera to change apertures and as a sort of lens hood. Hope this helps, Regards.

3. Thanks Bill; I only know the black aperture setting ring which also serves as a hood, but it is much larger. How are the settings 1,2,3,4,6,10 aperture settings?

4. Also, aperture on the old elmars are not controlled by a ring but by the little lever in front of the lens. I can't see how the nickel ring could posible link up with that lever on the lens...

5. I think it is a simplified exposure control numbering system, possibly for copying or macro work. I have the same kind of numbering system on some old Leitz large format Summars. I am pretty sure the central notch is for catching on the aperture nodule and altering the aperture.

6. James. Six apertures on the elmar, six numbers on the ring, both show different interspacing of the numbers: so far your theory works. Unfortunately: the ring labelled 1:2,5 ,suppposedly for the hektor has the same six numbers as the 1:3,5 ring, however the hektor 2,5cm has 7 apertures! There goes the theory! :(

7. Bill Snell

Bill Snell Bill Snell

Hi, James is right it is the ratio of exposure. In the case of the Elmar 1 = f3.5. 2 = f4.5. 4 = f6.3. 8 = f9. 16 = f12.5 and 32 = f18. This was in 1947. The Hektor ring would be different. In the 1953 edition of the "Leica Manual" they refer to it as a "Valoo" Slip on ring and were still advocating its use in the field as well as on the enlarger.

8. Bill Snell

Bill Snell Bill Snell

Further to the above. It looks as though the "Valoo" was different to the original ring but worked in a similar fashion. More functional I think. Confusing?

9. Here is the 1:2,5/hektor? ring
    00bieQ-540642084.jpg

10. another angle
    00bieT-540642184.jpg

11. and another one
    00bieU-540642284.jpg

12. The VALOO seems more useful for fielduse as it has a hood and the 'real' apertures printed on it
    00bieb-540642584.jpg

13. Jean-Marie, maybe Leitz didn't think the Hektor a very capable lens for whatever function the attachment was intended for, at its smallest aperture; who knows. Another fast lens, the Xenon was only used f1.5 to f9.

14. James, you are definitely right about its aperture setting function. Funny I haven't found an image of these rings in any of the Leitz literature. Then again they have produced an unbelievable variety of accessories over the years. The Westlicht auction house owner keeps a cabinet half the size of a small pool (billiards) table filled with only the viewfinders!

15. Yes, I dare say there are almost as many items on the Leitz accessory list are there are in my wife's shoe cabinet!

16. Ring mystery solved. Both Bill and James were right (although Bill slightly right-er!). It is 'an early iris control ring for elmar 5/3.5 for use on enlarger'. No code name mentioned though... (from Haasbroeck). Thank you gents for your assistance; I will gladly send you ...uuuur...some items from my wife's shoe cabinet?
    00bj8k-540708984.jpg

17. Oeps, i thought I sent a reduced attachment
    00bj8o-540709384.jpg

18. Thanks for that; interesting
    The unit for the Elmar would appear to be a VALAU and that for the Hektor a VOOLQ. Maybe the simpler numbering system made it easier to use visually in the darkroom as it didn't seem to have click stops